Restoration questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restoration questions

i have a 62 fl that i am trying to restore. im trying to figure out what is and isn't acceptable to put on it. for example, if i have the left side case with the stamping, can i use a new right side case if the old one is damaged or do i need to find another 62 case or just any panhead case? in either situation, it still wont be "original". same thing with parts like the horn, fenders, seat - should i buy new reproduction or try to find used parts? with the reproduction parts, will i have to hear " well, its not REALLY original ". obviously would like to get as close as possible, but where is the line drawn and on which parts?? if i use stock cases and trans, but then aftermarket fenders, horn, seat, lights? would like to hear your input.

Ideally, you want to use the correct year, genuine Harley-Davidson parts. Unfortunately, that is rather expensive today but if you want your motorcycle to have value in the years to come, a genuine Harley-Davidson is always going to be more valuable than one with reproduction parts. Most important is to have a genuine engine case with factory stamped engine numbers. There are some very talented shops that can repair, what you think are hopelessly damaged cases. I would investigate that case repair alternative first as even replacement cases can be expensive. Genuine H-D fenders for a 1962 should not be that expensive and I would start watching ebay to get an idea of what the current value is. The bottom line is; the more genuine H-D parts you use, the more valuable your bike will be, and most importantly, the better it will run. There are some good reproduction manufacturers out there but even the best aren't as good as real Harley-Davidson parts.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

It's your bike and your money so you can do exactly as you wish, but if you are thinking of putting the result in for AMCA judging you need to start with factory stamped engine cases and a frame from the same year. The AMCA judging process recognises only original or restored bikes. Restored bikes can have good quality repro parts, but original bikes should be all Harley and preferably in first paint. All other bikes more than 35 years old can be displayed at no charge, and may win awards such as oldest, most unique, period modified etc. There is nothing wrong with building 'just a rider'. The money is with AMCA judged bikes and original machines, but I have most fun with my racer/bobber which has parts from all over. It's good to have a plan, and many members have multiple bikes so you don't need the same plan for each one. If your bike has had most of its parts in formation since new, I'd repair the right case. Keep asking questions and talking to members at the meets.

Comment

thanks for the input guys, thats what i was trying to find. aside for a value point after its restored, i should be sticking to OEM parts and not just any aftermarket parts. how do you know if the right case is original, should it have a stamping on it somewhere?

Comment

Look at the bottom of each case half. The "belly" numbers should match.
          Cory Othen
          Membership#10953

Comment

damn, right case numbers aren't visible, only see 1 thing - a part of a 1 or T, nothing else.

Comment

If the case halves were the otriginal set, there are stampings on the bottom of each and they will be the same. Maybe you can't see them in the frame, but they lie near the joint. If you used another right case, they won't be the same- although this is a pretty fine point.

I think you should investigate the repair of the right side- you didn't say what is wrong, but mounting ears and cracks have and can be repaired. Then you have the original matching set.

There are other things to learn- for example the repro fender might have the same shape, but if you start comparing the rivet heads and other features, they are not the same as the original. Of course you could replace the rivets on a repro fender with HD shaped one's.

Pans are good bikes to do because there is so much info out there.
              Dan Margolien
              Yankee Chapter National Meet July 31/August 1 2020 at the TERRYVILLE Fairgounds, Terryville CT.
              Www.yankeechapter.org
              Pocketvalve@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
              X