1942 EL Speedometer Cable Route

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1942 EL Speedometer Cable Route

Hi, I was hoping that someone would be able to advise the correct route for the Speedometer Cable to take, specifically where it passes between the 2 gas tanks and then either passes on the left or right side of the lower frame tube then up into the speedometer hole encased in the upper frame tube. Thank You

-=Bob=-
    Last edited by NiteOwl; 03-20-2012, 05:44 AM.
    Bob Beatty
    AMCA 19209

Bob,

I don't know if you'll get a clear enough idea from these shots but it's pretty straight forward. Photos are courtesy of Matt Olsen's blog. I assume you have the clamp that bolts to the cases?

http://www.oldbikesinsd.blogspot.ca/...8/dons-42.html

http://www.oldbikesinsd.blogspot.ca/...ng-cables.html
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Comment

Hi Cory, weather is changing up here, I hope to have my bike on the road in the next few weeks, I bet you are too!!

The photos I searched and could not find a reference to the cable routing for the speedo cable. Perhaps it does not matter which side of the "lower" tube the cable passes on. I searched and have not been able to find the information on our forum here, I really wold have thought the question would have come up before but maybe it is a no-brainer. Out to the garage for me.

Here is a photo of the area in question, when the cable passes up between the tanks it can go on either the right or left of the bottom tube then up into the hole. I am thinking the left side is the most effective with the least amount of strain to the cable. (photo is not my bike)
      Attached Files
      Last edited by NiteOwl; 03-20-2012, 12:32 PM.
      Bob Beatty
      AMCA 19209

Comment

Bob, O.K. I clued in to what your getting at. I'd keep it on the left. Somebody should come along to correct me if I'm wrong. I know you don't want any binding points or your inner cable won't run smoothly in it's housing and your speedometer needle will get to hopping, not to mention cause unnecessary wear and tear. I'm guessing that if you went out this morning to get at it then you've already got it all done.

Weather!!! I won't likely be riding for awhile yet. We just got another fresh dump of snow!!!
        Cory Othen
        Membership#10953

Comment

Thanks Cory, I ran it up the left side, however I really would like to know the correct path, so I have my fingers crossed that someone who knows can inject a comment.
          Bob Beatty
          AMCA 19209

Comment

Working...
          X