My balls are stuck !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My balls are stuck !

That is on my Schebler HX carb. The friction ball for the fuel adjustment knob is stuck in and not offering any resistance on the knob. I'd like to get the ball out and replace it and the spring. Any one know of any tricks? Thanks!

The only thing I can think of is to keep pushing on the ball and force it to move. Even if it's just backwards. If you keep dousing it with WD-40 and forcing it to move, it may move foreward. I don't think that component was ever intended to be rebuilt so taking the ball out would be destructive and render the part useles. That's just my obsevation.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

I agree with eric had one stuck made a little dam around it and filled it with p b blaster and let it sit overnight it might work
      Moose
      aka Glenn

Comment

Use Sea foam spray, it is better than PB blaster, WD-40, kroil, aerokroil, or anything I have ever used. it works wonders. I buy it at NAPA, about $9 per can, frees stuck carb slides, van hinges, pistons.

Comment

Well, I finally got the old ball and spring out. I drilled a small hole on the backside, then using a very skinny punch I knocked it out. After soaking in kroil it took a few tries to get some movement by tapping in both directions.The spring was rotted from rust and in four pieces. The ball was totaly corroded. The drilled small hole was filled in with a dab of solder and smoothed down. Now with a new ball and spring in it, its as good as new.

Comment

Working...
          X