'64 Harley Servicar flathead 45

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '64 Harley Servicar flathead 45

My father and I have a 1964 Harley Servicar with a flathead 45. The bike had sat outside for who knows how long and the engine is locked up. We took off the head and the cylinders are rusted. We need to save the cases as they are numbers matching. We have soaked it in solvent, filled the cylinders with marvel mystery oil and are planning to soak it in diesel. Any other ideas about how to break it free?

That's a good start. If you put a wrench on the engine sprocket nut will it rock a little or is it completely stuck solid? If it moves a little each way the bottom may be OK. Try to determine what position the flywheels are in (pistons on the up or down stroke). Then have someone with a breaker bar put some pressure in the correct direction to pull the pistons down while someone else uses a 2x2 and a shop hammer to tap the pistons down alternate ft. to back piston ea. couple of taps.
    Don't try to beat them out if they don't move, something will break. If necessary soak again over night and try again the next day. Be patient it should work free.
    If you get to the bottom of the stroke and it's still tight lift the cylindars and place wood shims under the cyl. and repeat process.
    Usually works for me without damage.
    Kerry
    Kerry AMCA # 15911

Comment

The world's best stuff to break the rust loose is AeroKroil. Order it online at www.kanolabs.com
      I buy it by the case every couple years.
      Be sure to visit;
      http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
      Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
      Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Thanks for the hints. We have tried the sprocket nut and it doesn't budge. We have sprayed everything with AeroKroil. My father got some from Dale Walksler. We'll try your hints as soon as we get a chance to work on it. I'll keep you updated. Thanks again.

Comment

When I say we tried the sprocket nut and it doesn't budge, I mean the engine doesn't budge.

Comment

We have the engine in a tub soaking in about 12 gallons of diesel. We plan to let it soak for a couple weeks or more.

Comment

It would be a lot simplier and faster to remove the heads and spray AeroKroil in the cylinders.
              Be sure to visit;

Comment

#1. Bolt motor to bench.
                #2. Position strap wrench on motor sproket so is a bit above horizontal.
                #3. Slide 3ft pipe over strap wrench.
                #4. Suspend heavy weight on end of pipe.
                #5. Fill cyls. with prefered lube.
                #6. When weight crashes to floor motor is free.
                #7. May take days or weeks.
                Last edited by D.A.Bagin; 10-03-2011, 06:06 AM.
                D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
                  It would be a lot simplier and faster to remove the heads and spray AeroKroil in the cylinders.
                  We did that and it didn't budge.

Comment

Originally posted by penmaker View Post
                    We did that and it didn't budge.
                    It doesn't work instantly. Keep it wet with AeroKroil and continue trying to break it loose for a few days. The rings didn't rust to the cylinder in a day. It takes time for the Kroil to creep in and do its job. Diesel fuel is not a penetrating oil.
                    Be sure to visit;

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
                      It doesn't work instantly. Keep it wet with AeroKroil and continue trying to break it loose for a few days. The rings didn't rust to the cylinder in a day. It takes time for the Kroil to creep in and do its job. Diesel fuel is not a penetrating oil.
                      The cylinders soaked in AeroKroil for over 2 weeks and nothing budged. I know diesel is not a penetrating oil, but with the engine soaking in it for 2 -3 weeks, it will get in a lot of places.

Comment

Considering the motor will require a rebuild, you might want to consider crating it up and ship it to American Cycle Fabrication in Bloomsburg, PA, check www.americancyclefab.com, Paul Friebus, Owner, is a Guru on Flatheads. He built a 42 U for me and I run it regularly at Interstate speeds, has over 7000 miles with no problems, leaks etc. Paul holds World's fastest flathead record with a 37 Flattie and now is working on a 45" in a converted Servicar frame and has exceeded 100+ mph. If nothing else, call and speak with either Paul or Joel, they can help you with the lock-up problem. Please don't get too agressive with your hammering and prying, good 45 motors are getting scarce, your lock-up problem is nothing more than some gravel in your shoe, Paul can help you with the problem. Good luck.

Comment

An update on the engine. We finally had time to get the engine on the engine stand today. It has been soaking in diesel, solvent, aerokroil, etc all this time. We wound up having to use a recipricating saw and cut the front cylinder off. We had to cut and break pieces off and cut the rod and split it to get the wrist pin out. The piston was actually fused to the cylinder. We were able to get the bottom of the cylinder off the case without damage to the case. The rear cylinder was fused as well but we were able to turn the motor after getting the front cylinder off and then use a cutting wheel on a grinder to cut the rod. We were both amazed at the amount of crud in the crankcase. The guy we bought the servicar from said he turned the motor over at least once a month. Needless to say that was a lie. The good thing is we were able to save the cases with the numbers. Now comes the task of rebuilding.

Comment

Working...
                          X