Generator Frames

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bmh View Post
    Another thing I've noticed in looking at the generator I think I will use on my 51 EL is that it has vinyl covered lead wires inside, would've expected cloth covered wires. Any Ideas when that started?
    Sounds like it may have Dixie field coils in it. I don't think the factory ever used vinyl covered leads ... Perry

Comment

Chris.
      You state as if it is a fact that the flat spot on the generator frame was to fix a clearance problem when the U was introduced in 1937? The all round generator fits with out any clearance problems on a 37 U motor.
      Could it be that this flat spot was introduced to overcome a clearance problem on the new for 1937 W model where the clearance between the generator frame and the tappet is much closer?

Pete Reeves 860

Comment

Perry.

I think the plugs fitted in some drain holes are part of the deep water fording conversion that was fitted on some late WLAs, part of the kit included gaskets and washers and I think a plug to make the generator water tight.

Peter Reeves. 860

Comment

Peter I agree with you on the generator relief being for a 37W amd not the 37U. A 37U has no less clearance than a 36V has and the relief was not needed for it.

Jerry

Comment

Originally posted by pete reeves View Post
            Perry.

I think the plugs fitted in some drain holes are part of the deep water fording conversion that was fitted on some late WLAs, part of the kit included gaskets and washers and I think a plug to make the generator water tight.

Peter Reeves. 860
            I wondered about the fording setup but assumed water would just get in the commutator end. I never knew they included gaskets/seals for that end. Thanks for the insight Peter ... Perry

Comment

Originally posted by Perry Ruiter View Post
              Sounds like it may have Dixie field coils in it. I don't think the factory ever used vinyl covered leads ... Perry
              As long as they are in good working order they can stay. I thought that was unusual when I pulled the cover off the other day. I guess whatever the change in frame was for 49 it must be hard to notice and since this looks like a generator in good working order ( will still have to test it) I guess it's the one I'll use. As for the fording kit, never saw one on a bike but we had some surplus marine beach landing jeeps that had deep water kits and virtually EVERYTHING was water tight, even had special spark plug boots, not to mention the completely sealed 24V generator.
              Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

Originally posted by pete reeves View Post
                Chris.
                You state as if it is a fact that the flat spot on the generator frame was to fix a clearance problem when the U was introduced in 1937? The all round generator fits with out any clearance problems on a 37 U motor.
                Could it be that this flat spot was introduced to overcome a clearance problem on the new for 1937 W model where the clearance between the generator frame and the tappet is much closer?

Pete Reeves 860
                Could be. I was told by an H-D machanic it was for the UL.
                Be sure to visit;
                http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

I'm guessing the cutout in the generator frame was for 1939 models when they stopped using the VL style three piece valve covers. You're going to need more clearance to get that 1939 special tool for the valve covers in the UL front exhaust valve cover.

Comment

By the way, I'm annoyed at losing judging points for having that generator with the cutout on my VLs. It's difficult to see; finding round generator bodies is hard work; filling with body putty seems pretty pointless; and I don't see any of this in the current reference books used for judging.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Slocombe View Post
                      By the way, I'm annoyed at losing judging points for having that generator with the cutout on my VLs. It's difficult to see; finding round generator bodies is hard work; filling with body putty seems pretty pointless; and I don't see any of this in the current reference books used for judging.
                      I was annoyed that my unrestored 1973 Servi-car was gigged for having a genuine H-D replacement seat on it. I got over it and I am sure you will too.

What is a judging reference book? That is a new one to me. So if something incorrect is not called out in the judging book? Tell me Steve, what parts are called out in the judging book?
                      Be sure to visit;
                      http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                      Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                      Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Dear Chris, You're right, I guess I'll get over some AMCA judge finding fault with my work. But is the fault 'wrong generator' for a big hit, or 'incorrect notch in generator body' for a quarter pointer? We used to hit 1934-36 VLs with holes in the seat pan with 'wrong seat' but these days I think that is too extreme. It would be nice to have some guidance for field judges. We're getting 'wrong shaped spoke nipples', 'wrong shade of cadmium', 'wrong cylinder' (for casting number dates) from some judges and don't want to end up like the Corvette Club.

On judging books, what I meant was the generally accepted body of literature that is in judges minds when they are looking at bikes. For instance, Bruce Palmer's 1937 and up Harley book. On the smaller field of VLs, I'm considering tweaks to my own book for a 2010 edition, but wondering just how anal to get, and trying to sort out what is fact from opinion, and what the factory logically should/could have done from what they actually did. I'm drifting off the generator topic, so perhaps there are some issues here than can be pursued under the Judging heading. Best regards.

Comment

I have a couple of generator frames (one NOS) with no drain hole from the factory. Why or when?
                          Robbie
                          Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by Rub View Post
                            I have a couple of generator frames (one NOS) with no drain hole from the factory. Why or when?
                            Robbie
                            Does it have the flat spot milled on it? All frames after WWII seem to have the drain hole. Probably added earlier than that though. It would seem to be there to allow oil that passed from the gear case to the generator a place to escape rather than gum up the generator. I would think that would have been a bigger problem with the felt washer rather than the rubber lip seal used on later model 32's. Does the NOS one still have a parts tag? Just curious as to which one it is.
                            Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

I finally looked at the generator frames for drain holes. The NOS has no tag on it but is a felt seal type with the later style zinc nameplate. The other are a NOS complete WLA radio suppression type with the factory installed condenser and a beat up one with no condenser hole so appears to be civilian. No hole in any of these and not plugged, never drilled. All of them have the cast in clearance notch. I have several others all with holes, both early nameplate and later type, including the original off my '42 FL and even a 32E2R. I also double checked parts books, including the late'44 issue military book, but found no variation on part #s. Any guesses?
                              Robbie
                              Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Working...
                              X