45 battery question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 45 battery question?

Need to buy a new battery for my 45. is there an issue with buying one with the vented caps? The one i am replacing has the vent tube on the side. Does the quality of battery differ on the batteries offered on ebay or are they all about the same ? I take it these batteries are good for about 3-4 years ?

Do yourself a favor and DO NOT buy one of the repro batteries made in INDIA (V-Twin). I bought one and instantly regretted it. Acid leaks out around the top when in use and runs everywhere. It randomly discharges. Total Junk! The ones sold by Your friendly Harley dealer are better but do have the side vent line. You can plug the vent line hole in the side and drill the caps to vent it so you don't have to modify your 45 battery box. I have several of them and they last OK if kept charged with a Battery Tender.
    Robbie
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

6v or 12v ?
      rob ronky #10507
      www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

its a 6 volt

its a 6v battery.

Comment

I used to by them fro my local Interstate Battery dealer. I don't know if they still carry them or not.
          Be sure to visit;
          http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
          Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
          Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

I used to get them at Interstate also, but the last time I went there -- a few years ago--- they told me that battery was discontinued. I ended up at the local Harley shop, who had them in stock.

Comment

Originally posted by Rub View Post
              Do yourself a favor and DO NOT buy one of the repro batteries made in INDIA (V-Twin). I bought one and instantly regretted it. Acid leaks out around the top when in use and runs everywhere. It randomly discharges. Total Junk! The ones sold by Your friendly Harley dealer are better but do have the side vent line. You can plug the vent line hole in the side and drill the caps to vent it so you don't have to modify your 45 battery box. I have several of them and they last OK if kept charged with a Battery Tender.
              Robbie
              You're absolutley right about those miserable pieces of junk from India. I have one in my Indian (appropriate) and it also has a leaking top which eats terminals and drools acid on the lower frame tube. Man, it's like America lost a war or something. All you can find is cheap crap from some other country and the American factories that made quality products are closed. Don't get me started.
              Eric Smith
              AMCA #886

Comment

robbie, what would you recomend to plug the hole on the side of the battery? i'm assuming that the side vent needs to be cut off flush with the side of the battery and size of hole in the caps? thanks and this post really helped as i was thinking i had to go buy another battery just to accomodate for a servi battery box, len.
                AMCA #765

Comment

been using this type for a couple years . no problems http://www.splitdorfreg.com/blancard/revolting.html

Comment

Originally posted by flthead View Post
                    been using this type for a couple years . no problems http://www.splitdorfreg.com/blancard/revolting.html
                    What a crazy idea but it seems to work!

I got some used flooded ni-cad cells out of an x-ray machine and 5 of those together make a perfect 6 volt motorcycle battery.
                    Herbert Wagner
                    AMCA 4634
                    =======
                    The TRUE beginnings of the Harley-Davidson Motor Co.

Comment

Eric--Actually it was Great Britian that lost the "war" with India---Michael--6671

Comment

I have sold many of the Dixie batteries, for both American and British applications.

Nearly each and every complaint I received can be reduced to two confusions (other than terminals being switched!) :

First, they are NOT dry-charged.
                        It may take more than 36 hours at a very low amperage to fully saturate the plates.

Second,
                        They are only to be filled to cover the plates, no more.
                        The volume of electrolyte increases when charged, often requiring some removal.
                        Filling them close to the top like a modern battery is folly.

Their longevity depends upon maintenance, of course, but my impression is that they last every bit as long as the originals.

....Cotten
                        AMCA #776
                        Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

It is a shame how little knowledge the sales clerks have now a days. Just about every one who sells an acid cell battery tells the customer the battery is already fully charged, but in reality, as I believe Cotten explained, they are not. I just purchased a 12 V for my one auto and the clerk said it was fully charged as well. I took it home, placed it on a charger, and it was at about half charge. It took 24 hours before it reached full capacity. My son's boss bought a new battery 4 months ago for my son's work van. He assumed the battery was fully charged as well. It needs replaced again. You need to start with a fully charged battery because the machines charging system can't put back what was never in it. Paps

Comment

Working...
                          X