Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Correct Ignition for 249 Scout

Hello,

Does anyone know the correct ignition for the 1949 Scout 440cc? Is it a rebuilt Edison Magneto; or the modified distributor shaft using Chief Autolite distributor cap and parts; or either? Thanks.

249scout

The Edison magneto was original. The distributor was offered later for the Warriors and some were retrofitted to the '49s. Those mags never seemed to work well.

Comment

I've been reading about a modified Chief distributor shaft that is made consistent with Indian engineering specifications to replace the Edison on the verticals. Would this be correct for my 1949 scout? I've been told there is a description of the one that Indian engineers created in an old parts catalog. I'm trying to find documentation to back up the correctness of this fix and determine what parts are needed. Thanks.

Comment

Ron, what I understand is that the distributors were installed on the last of the Warriors and Patrol models. They would have been available as a replacement part and some were retrofitted. As far as "correct" you would need to talk to a judge about that. Jim Garrett has made some reproductions and should have more information on them. You can contact him at: patjim@sacoriver.net

Comment

Working...
        X