Cutout Relay Problem - Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutout Relay Problem - Help

I think I know the answer but I am going to ask the experts anyway. This afternoon when my knucklehead wouldn't start I noticed my cutout relay (new three post solid state one) was almost too hot to touch. This was before I even started the thing. I pulled the battery positive wire and it cooled off. Now here is what I think is the answer: The cutoff relay is supposed to keep the circuit open when the engine is not running so that the battery does not discharge to the generator. The fact that the relay was getting hot means that it is allowing the battery juice to flow to the generator. Do I have a bad solid state relay? Do I have a short somewhere else? I am almost ready to get a new relay but don't want to burn up another. Anyone had this problem before? By the way the bike wouldn't even act like it was going to start. The bike is stock and I am running a 6 volt 32E generator.

Thanks

Jim

Relay problem update

Pretty sure the relay is bad. I disconnected the battery wire from the relay and the bike started with one kick. I am now wondering what would cause the relay to go bad. Could I have too many amps coming from the generator? Anyone have this problem?

Comment

I talked to Chuck. He told me that V-Twin has a 12V "Look-A-Like"(chrome top) relay that works. Electronic design will function with 2-brush generators. (VT 32-0071). They also have a new Replica Delco Remy relay 6V (black or chrome top) features original internal points contact construction with embossed cover (VT 32-0631, black).

Comment

Working...
      X