6 volt battery replacements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6 volt battery replacements

Has anyone tried out either of the alternative 6 volt batteries that are now available.The first one is a sealed lead acid battery that is 18ah and measures 3.6" x3.3" x6.5" available from battery-web.com for $48.00. The next one I located is an 18ah gel battery available from Great Plains Cycle. The dimensions are very similiar to the the first battery but this one cost $72.00. Neither is a direct replacement, but neither have the dreaded vent line either. If anyone has ever used either of these I would like to hear your opinion.

batteryweb.com has H2 batteries...4.4x3.9x8.5....$78.80

Comment

You might want to try the $9.00 battery from home depot. I fit 2 of them in my battery box (so I have a backup). I installed mine at the end of the season, so I haven't tested it over the long haul but so far so good. I think it was discussed earlier in one of the indian threads I'll try to find it.

Comment

Found it.
        AMCA Forum > Technical Discussions Indian > Chief > Chief battery

Comment

What about an H-4 replacement?

That's the 1949-1964 Harley-Davidson Police big battery. 36 amp hour.

Anyone know where I can find one (dead or alive)?

Comment

Interstate Batteries H2

Interstate is offering an H2 replacement. Does anyone know if it's the same door stop that we buy from restoration suppliers, or something different?

Rex

Comment

What's wrong with ours? Been selling them for years (couple thousand anyway) and can count on one hand all that have had problems........most were the end users fault or shipping damage. It's a pretty good battery......I've had people say with a tender they're now into their 4th year.

Kurt

www.45partsdepot.com
              Attached Files

Comment

The other thing you can do is pull down the YUASA catalog from their website. In it they have a page full of 6v batteries that you can order from your local motorcycle dealer (modern or antique). (I chose the highest amp-hour capacity I could get that was still the right dimensional size). The bonus for me was they would take my old dead battery (so I didn't have to get rid of it), and fill up the new one with acid (so I didn't have to scrounge up acid). The online battery dealers typically ship without acid, as far as I know.

Comment

You can still purchase 6V batteries through the H-D parts and acc. catolog. I think they run 40some to 50 bucks. seem to hold up if properly cared for.
                  Brian

Comment

You are all correct. You can buy a genuine H-D battery for 6-volt systems if you are running a civilian Panhead. However, the police models took an entirely different battery. Theirs kicked out 45 amps and was more square. Thus, an H-4.

Does anyone know where you can buy one of those?

Comment

H-D 6V Batteries

The Harley Brand 6V batteries haven't done much for me. I've changed 2 in the last 3 years. I also wonder about that vent tube. Looking at my resto books, shouldn't a '63 Duo have cap vents? The battery cover that came with the bike was pretty rusted making me think that it did have venting caps in the past. I also remember someone advertising a gel cell equivalent. So...anyone know of a non-vent tube, tall, gel cell for a '63 that lasts 4+ years, costs $29.99 and is self-installing?

Comment

Isn't there sometimes a problem with the charging system on older bikes being able to generate enough voltage for the absorbent glass matt (maintenance free) batteries. In the case of a 12v battery, you need 14 to 14.8 output voltage for the mainenance free batteries, right? Same hold true for 6v, divided by 2. Steve

Comment

Charging

Since there's no real events for judging around here, I put a new generator and regulator (with the old cover) on it just after getting it. It may have been just a regulator adjustment but with the original wiring worn (resistance), I just decided to do the whole system to see if it helped and it did. Of course, I still kept the original OEM parts and have since replaced most of the wiring. I also got another NOS regulator if I decide to go back to totally correct for some reason in the future. I recognized the charging was low (at a steady idle) when I first got it but have changed the 2 Harley brand batteries since changing everything out as I said. In my travels or on the net, everyone seems to agree that the Harley 6Vs don't last as long as at least some others. I wonder who their subcontractor is that makes them?

Comment

Howdy SCD,

The issue with older charging system's compatiblity with agm's is not peak voltage, rather, controlling the charge rate accurately. Yes, agm's - in this case 6 volt - will readily accept up to 7.3v steady state charge rates but, they only like it at 2amps or less over load. Once that charge is pulled, they find their own resting voltage in the 6.4 to 6.8v range compared to lead acids (la) at about 6.3v. On Indians with Autolites, the generator must be converted from 3 brush to two and an electronic regulator fitted to operate in this charge window. I've been using PODtronics on Autolites converted to two brush operation for about 10 years, now fitting Powersonic PS-6200 batteries.

Lead Acid (LA) batteries are more tolerant of wild swings in charge rates and being duty cycled closer to fully discharged while accepting high charge rates to bring them back up. Being inexpensive, one can justify making them the expendible component in a marginal charging situation with frequent replacement. AGM's, though more expensive, have much higher energy density for their size, with controlled valve can be run in any position, no gasing to discolor terminals and have superior shelf life when not in regular use. They are especially beneficial when your machine is fitted with one of the electronic ignition systems in use today.

Comment

Battery Replacement

Ronnie - Don’t know how close to OEM you are looking for, but for three years I have had great use from a sealed battery for the police model.

It is a Powersonic PS-6360 6 volt 36 amp/hr sealed AGM battery. If you order it, be SURE to ask for “NB” terminals.
                              These are zinc coated brass terminals. (If you don’t, they come with flimsy foil tabs). I just painted it black and placed
                              black closed cell foam around the edge to secure it. Their Redwood City, CA sales # is 650-364-5001. It is 6 ¼” long,
                              6 ½” high and 3 1/3” wide, so it fits the big box pretty well with a little securement.

The last time I saw stock 66002-49AD battery on EBay in 8/06 it went for $315.00!! (Plus $30.00 shipping!!)

Comment

Working...
                              X