Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best starter solenoid, handlebar switch,& relay for my 65FLH?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best starter solenoid, handlebar switch,& relay for my 65FLH?

Hello guys,I read some threads from years ago on starter circuit on 65FLH with no relay. I want to upgrade, I see JP has horn button /starter switch but wires look very small,even with relay & list Drag Spec solenoid. Just reaching out to see if anybody experienced some better options that are available nowadays. I have contacted local HD dealer for Shovel parts but no luck. thanks

RR2,
    I've done these before. In the past I would use OEM parts from newer models. Many of those parts are no longer available as you found out. You can always look for good used OEM parts but it's a gamble for most people that are unable to test the used part properly, especially if purchasing it on line used.

Since then I've been using the following items and I have not had any issues. In order for these parts to be used successfully for years of service, they must be installed correctly meaning, wire gauge, proper connectors, properly crimped and correct orientation to name a few things.

A) Drag Specialties button #DS-272136

B) Starter Solenoid by Standard, All Balls, Drag Specialties or Accel

C) OEM HD Relay 31504-91C ( Other replacements typically work fine also)
    Wiring for the relay on the terminal numbers as follows:

#30 High Current 12VDC B+ Battery

#87 High Current transfer power through it to your small low current terminal on the solenoid.

#86 Low Current 12VDC from from the starter button

#85 Low Current ground wire, verified proper ground

Hope this helps,
    Duke

Comment

You can also use a plug and play Bosch type plastic ( easy to hide ) four blade relay from any auto parts place and a H-D curcuit breaker.
      DrSprocket

Comment

Auto parts relay are usually 30amp,the HD relay Duke posted is plastic 40amp.I use -91 relay for custom builds.VTwin 32-0643 is similar to the ones 1967 & later.I like the Standard MC-STS1 [J&P 363-0474] saolenoid.Most solenoids pull in ok but some don't return as well,some have wrong length from mount to end.Stay away from Vtwin/volt tech 32-0699 solenoid.

Comment

I appreciate everyones time & the great info.Super fast,thanks

Comment

Working...
          X