12V horn?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12V horn?

I installed the 12V Cycle Electric Generator on my '46 Indian. So, now I'm wondering about the horn. Yes, it still has the 6V horn on the bike. I don't use it allot, but I'm wondering about replacing it with a 12V "universal" horn. Something that looks like the V-Twin 33-0739 - Universal Style 12 Volt Chrome Horn. It "sort of" looks vintage, and I'm OK with it not being original for now. What are YOU guys with 12V using?? I know the horn on my bike is NOT a '46 Horn anyway... but I'd rather not burn it up because it's OLD. I always BEEP when I leave home even if I'm just going out for a ride around the block.

Jim

AMCA #6520

Jim, won't a small, easily hid, resistor step down the voltage? (...might be a bit complicated when you try to determine the correct resistance you'll need in the resistor )
    Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

You can use resistor for 6V horn.Something like that.... You need to measure the current draw of your signal and choose a resistor
      Last edited by Jarek; 01-31-2024, 05:21 AM.

Comment

Jim;
        I also run: "12V Cycle Electric Generator on MY '46 Indian" I simply use 6 my volt horn. Works good. Suspect things were made more durable in 46.
        I believe I read on Kiwi site about 12 volt conversion that horn did not need to be changed but can't rely on my memory so please check in out..

Comment

Thanks guys! I looked on KIWI's site and found that you're right Paul. He says this about the horns when converting to 12V: 6v horns work way better on 12v so no need to change it out.
          Jim

AMCA #6520

Comment

It will be louder

Comment

Originally posted by larry View Post
              It will be louder
              It sure is LOUD!! I tried the horn and that was the reason for some concern. I suppose as long as I'm not HOLDING down on the button for a long time, it'll be fine. BEEP BEEP!
              Jim

AMCA #6520

Comment

Working...
              X