Panhead AGM battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Panhead AGM battery

Been surfing around, trying to find a AGM battery for my 58 Panhead, preferably same size. Anyone hear of one. Based on information on this site, Lithium is out.

6v or 12v?

Comment

Stock 6 volt, Larry. I’m period correct, so is my bike

Comment

Hi, i recommend you the "Duracell Ultra 6Volt 12Ah", AGM type and 12Ah is enough power.
        You have to use a Battery-Box, they have outside the original look and feel and are inside
        empty for put in the AGM Battery. Chris Daniel, the Battery Box Guy has it.
        But, you have to know. check your orig. electro-mechanical Regulator voltage output. All
        sealed Batteries accept no higher voltage level as 7.4 Volts. If your old regulator is higher
        so I could install into your orig. regulator housing a much better working electronic Regulator
        as an embedded solution....
        George

Comment

George, do you have a item # for that Duracell Ultra 6v - 12ah battery? I ask because Duracell makes a lot of 6v emergency batteries, but it's the dimensions that are important for fitting into a repro case, or just the H-D oil tank battery compartment. I really liked the Eagle Picher batteries that are no longer made, and I'm not crazy about the acid filled battery I have to deal with right now. Thanks for the information, very helpful, and most appreciated.
          Eric Smith
          AMCA #886

Comment

You can put your battery in your saddlebag and eliminate the hot oil surrounding your battery. Leave the old battery in place with wires leading nowhere and hide the wires to tha battery in your saddlebag. Heat kills batteries.

Comment

Originally posted by PanheadFred1 View Post
              You can put your battery in your saddlebag and eliminate the hot oil surrounding your battery. Leave the old battery in place with wires leading nowhere and hide the wires to tha battery in your saddlebag. Heat kills batteries.
              I was lucky enough to do a 2k ride on my Pan this summer, and using George's (post #4) charging set up with a small sealed battery I had absolutely no issues. Six days on the road I'm glad I didn't have to deal with a battery in my 'limited room' bubble bags. Sorry, but in the oil bag in an oversized (bigger than battery) replica housing worked great for me. 8k miles with his setup and zero issues.
              Bob Rice #6738

Comment

I’ve found that if using the sealed emergency batteries generally speaking two smaller ones (wired in series to maintain 6v) fit better, increase amperage and minimize the risk of total battery failure leaving you stranded. Bear in mind these batteries fail with no warning. It’s also my understanding that they should only be used if running a voltage regulator and not with a cut out.

Comment

Originally posted by otis71 View Post
                  I’ve found that if using the sealed emergency batteries generally speaking two smaller ones (wired in series to maintain 6v) fit better, increase amperage and minimize the risk of total battery failure leaving you stranded. Bear in mind these batteries fail with no warning. It’s also my understanding that they should only be used if running a voltage regulator and not with a cut out.
                  Two 6-volt batteries wired in series will produce 12 volts. Wire them parallel to maintain 6 volts.

Comment

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ this!

Comment

Replica Battery 6 Volt with Small Terminal...
                      great battery,top cover may need adjustment to clear terminals
                      Kozy's idea works also.My brother ran his like that for many years & many miles.top cover needs raised to fit

Comment

Working...
                      X