auto-lite cutout relay voltage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• auto-lite cutout relay voltage

trying to set my relay, at what exact voltage do you want the points to close on a 6 volt system,6 or greater? thanks

Howdy sir,

So, your pole shoes residual magnetism in a suitably polarized generator enables it to put out 1/2 to maybe 1V to “excite” a cutout when the motor first started, most electronic reg’s excite at about 3/4V on a 6V system, abandoned cutouts long ago so will defer to the experts here. But, I vaguely recall the points on mine duty cycling at low rpm when the excite voltage set to high which would have led to deposits from arcing over the long term, you want them to close at excite threshold and stay that way till the motor turned off.
    Cheerio,
    Peter
    1950 Vincent - A Red Rapide Experience

Comment

Actually, the points should only close when the generator output voltage is greater than the battery voltage, otherwise it will discharge until the generator voltage becomes equal to, or greater than the battery voltage. So, depending on the state of charge of your battery, about 6.5 volts. However that actual number will automatically vary a bit based on the actual battery voltage. Jus note that if you slowly increase RPM from a slow idle, the ammeter should not show a big jump in discharge at first, then work up to 0 and then a positive charge. If it does, the cutout spring tension may be a bit too strong, or there are other issues......

Comment

thanks, got it all set

Comment

Working...
        X