Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Haven't bought any points & condenser in a while . Dose anyone have any recommendations for a 1948 Pan 74 cu in ? Thank you , Mike

Its been a while for me too, Mike!

Because I still have boxes of '90s offerings that worked fine.

So let me add to your question:

Is there a shelf life on condensors?

....Cotten
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Napa points CS 2350, condenser RR174. Also (I think) RR179 the same just the wire is longer. Bolt right in, no issues. Prices ain't what they used to be.
      Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Which Timer base are you using? Original '48 types used Knucklehead points, if it was upgraded to the '49 up type it uses the points as Big Lake Bob says.
        Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

As far as a condenser:
          I used to run the NAPA Echlin RR174 mentioned above and "generally" that brand name carries a good reputation. It is my experience they are junk. For a car engine yes, old V-twin, no due to vibration. I have dissected them and compared to an original 50s/60s era condenser and there is NO comparison. An original condenser that is still working is probably better. Now I only use these http://www.thorcap.com/ and retrofit it into on old casing. Not everyone wants to go through the hassle so if you buy the RR174, buy 2 and carry the spare as well as tools to swap along the trail. The other alternative is an electronic ignition.
          Having said that if you're not planning on riding the bike much, it doesn't matter.
          Jason Zerbini
          Near Pittsburgh PA (Farm Country)
          Allegheny Mountain Chapter http://amcaamc.com/

Comment

I thought '48 was the change year not '49, sorry. But if you are using the newer points and condenser, I still recommend the Napa RR174. I respect Jason's opinion and his experience, but my opinion and experience is, I've been using those points and condensers on 4 different bikes since 1985, I've never had a condenser go bad. Now they are made in Mexico, but they still work for me. And yes, I do ride my bikes. Thanks for the Thorcap link.
            Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Thanks Guys , I've got the NAPPA parts on order . I do have the '49 timer .

Comment

Working...
              X