Harley 65A rebuild question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harley 65A rebuild question

I'm rebuilding a 65A generator and plan to replace the 9007 Drive End Bearing with a sealed bearing. With a sealed bearing, do I still need to use the 30145-46 Armature Oil Seal. Thanks!

Yes, the seal is to keep engine oil out, the sealed bearing is merely to keep its lubricant in.
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

On the armature other end for better support I replace the 12002 seal in the 30132-61 end cover with a bearing. 1.125 O.D. x .500 I.D. x .312 0r .375 in width.
      .312 in thickness # NMB RI-1812D (double plastic shielded)
      .375 in thickness # Nice 1616DC (double steel shielded)
      I still use the 9064 bearing more as a 'hole filler'. In my opinion the bearing put in the seal area is better support than the needle bearing, just like in a 3 brush with a radial bearing at both ends. I think we have all seen armatures where the needle bearing has failed and ruined the armature or has put 'serrations' into the commutator end, I have found this to be a good preventative measure, plus either shielded bearing mentioned above still acts like a seal to keep the needle bearing grease from coming into contact with the commutator.
      Bob Rice #6738

Comment

That what I needed. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
        X