Voltage regulator fuse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Voltage regulator fuse

The fuse on the three unit voltage regulator. I’ve never found a documented amperage rating. I always run 15a in the event the cutout relay failed to open and allowed the 18a battery to fed back through the generator field windings. It also seems that the bigger concern would be a failure of the current regulator relay allowing wild DC from the generator to back feed through the windings. Any arguments with the 15a?

What bike/system are you talking about? An unregulated generator bike will surge when trying to run at a steady speed.I can diagnose that in a 2 block ride without touching a volt/ohm meter.I had a '65 Pan & '47 Knuck in at the same time.Both surged.,,'65 owner was from trying to polarize a perfectly good system & shorted the regulator.Knuck was from a restorer that didn't know how to troubleshoot & adjust the cutout.Output was 18volts on the 12 volt,8 volts on the 6 volt.Fries ignition points in short order.

Comment

Thanks for getting back to me on this. I apologize on the lack the details. 64 pan,ex-police bike with original wire harness and original fan cooled generator and regulator. The voltage regulator P/N : 74500-51B incorporates the three relays within it. The regulator is working as it should.and there are no electrical issues on the bike. When I said wild, I meant as you said “surged”. Excess voltage being delivered to the field and I fully agree with you. So I’m looking for the amperage rating on the fuse that is in the “field” lead between the regulator and the generator. Please set me straight if I’m wrong but that fuse protects the gen. field windings regardless of the source of the over voltage. ie Improperly set gap on one of the relays as you stated and causing the over voltage.I hope that’s not long winded. The fuse amperage. I said 15a. Thumbs up ,thumbs down?

Comment

My Chief blew a fuse when the battery shorted out. It saved the generator and the regulator

Comment

I said surging as bike does not run at consistent speed,not the same thing.I have no experience with your police gen/reg.

Comment

Duffeycycles. Got ya. Terminology misunderstanding.
            Arley. Never had Indian so I can’t say much about the wiring. Again my fuse is in the generator field lead. It’s not located In a position where it would protect the entire bike in the event of a short in its harness or individual components. Thank you anyway.

Comment

Well when I get everything out of the garage and time to work on it I’ll have to isolate the one lead and calculate the amps. We’ll see.
              ****Update****my math has the amperage at approximately 20amps.anyone know otherwise please speak up.
              Last edited by steuerm; 08-14-2022, 03:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X