Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Head light issues

Hello all
    i am having a bit if head light trouble maybe someone can help.
    I have the same issue with 2 bikes right now.
    my 1954 fl i just put together, its 12 volt, new generator ,battery and regulator (one that looks like the old small cut out relay) my headlight works except when the the bike is running.
    my wife's 1962 flh we just got and got running. We installed a new cycle electric 6 volt generator and new accel regulator. Same issue. Headlight works but swith key to lights while running and Headlight wont come on.
    Have to check to see maybe hers is a 12volt bulb?
    would that do that?

Thanks In advance for some advice

Gary

Gary,
    Well that's pretty bizarre on both bikes. Does the tail light and brake light work while running? Horn? Have you checked voltage at the battery before starting and then while the bike is running with RPMs up? If light only works while engine off it would seem while the bike is running something is drawing the power down but if voltage is that low its doubtful the ignition would fire. Is the headlight just very dim or is it completely out?
    Perhaps there is incompatibility issues with components or something isn't hooked up properly.
    If voltages check out to be normal at idle and running then you will have to start at headlight plug and work backwards with a voltage tester following electrical diagram to locate where you are losing power.
    Jason Zerbini
    Near Pittsburgh PA (Farm Country)
    Allegheny Mountain Chapter http://amcaamc.com/

Comment

I messed with them again
      the 54 seemed towork when we went out riding but i think its a loose wire in the headlight i need to take a look.

the 62is a wiring mess, the tail light comes on with one click of ignition switch and goes out when you turn it to lights. The head light was working yesterday which is strange.
      I think the ignition switch is sloppy

Comment

Working...
      X