stupid question of the day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stupid question of the day

to determine the rotation of a magneto which side do you use? points side ,or drive, thanks

When I am dialing in a magneto on my bikes, I draw an arrow on the drive side, and the interrupter side. You find yourself positioning timing gears to jive with your point setting (and vise-versa) but you can't see both sides at once and that can get very confusing. Dealing with worn timing gears, and minute point adjustments means you are going to make compromises. Putting directional arrows on both sides of the magneto helps me. As for determining the direction of a mag, that can be found in the part #, an arrow stamped into the case, or looking at the ramp leads of the interrupter cam. Unfortunately, Bosch mags have often been messed with, and wrong direction/degree parts, can be swapped. Regardless of what magneto you are working with, it does not hurt to put masking tape arrows anywhere that you need them. I hope that was of some help. It's happy hour so I don't know if that was a 'stupid answer
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

Magnetos definitions (clockwise, Counter clockwise, arm left, arm right, etc) are described from the gear / drive end.
      mark
      Mark Masa
      www.linkcycles.com

Comment

thanks mark

Comment

Working...
        X