6V Panhead/Knucklehead battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6V Panhead/Knucklehead battery

I am looking for a standard (wet) 6V battery that fits the oil tank battery holder on a Panhead or Knucklehead. A couple I have come across have a vent tube on the top which seems to indicate using the OEM top battery holder without modification could be a problem.

I am interested in hearing feedback on the options available and which batteries offer the best performance.

Erik Bahl

1929 BMW R63
    1915 Harley Davidson 11F Twin

The last one I bought from HD. That was a while ago as they seem to last for quite a while. I was able to use a heat gun to loosen the vent and give it a slight twist so as not to interfere with anything. Stock hold down then worked fine.

Comment

I buy mine from HD as well. Price is about $80. I keep several on the shelf as well as acid. You can either use the vent hose or you can drill the caps tp vent like originals and goober up the vent line nipple. I use the vent line and just route it to a spot were it isn't going to ruin anything. Just what do and never had any issues.

Tom (Rollo) Hardy
      AMCA #12766

Comment

Thanks for the feedback - I'm going to try the HD battery.
        Erik Bahl

1929 BMW R63
        1915 Harley Davidson 11F Twin

Comment

I also use the HD batterys.They are 80 bucks and I buy 5 gallons of acid from Napa auto parts to fill them wheni need one. I slow charge it for 24 hours or until the hydrometer says it is charged. If you put 2 pads under it the vent line clears ok and the top cover still fits.

Comment

Originally posted by 1937hd View Post
            I also use the HD batterys.They are 80 bucks and I buy 5 gallons of acid from Napa auto parts to fill them wheni need one. I slow charge it for 24 hours or until the hydrometer says it is charged. If you put 2 pads under it the vent line clears ok and the top cover still fits.
            The last one i got the vent could not be heated up and moved, so I used some thin wood and two pads as 1937hd said so the vent does not kink very much

Comment

Working...
            X