splitdorf ns2 grounding out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• splitdorf ns2 grounding out

now the splitdorf ns2 is grounding out yet still works? the terminal on the side to ground it out to shut off the bike is showing continuity from the terminal to ground with the wire to the switch disconnected . so i removed base plate and disconnected wire from it and from side of mag so i was just checking the primary wire to ground and it still shows continuity? help thanks chris

Chris, from your description it would seem you have isolated the wire from the mag and to the ignition switch and the wire is showing continuity to ground. I believe you are probably using a digital volt ohm meter, VOM,. I am not trying to be a wise guy but are you interpreting the information correctly. If you have the meter set on a high resistance reading you may be reading kilo-ohms or even mega-ohms and that may not be enough to cause a direct short, ground,. In any event any high reading to ground would indicate replacement even though the bike still runs. It is a definite indication that the wire insulation is going south and the wire should be replaced. Also you have moved or disturbed the wire and may have caused a problem you did not have before. Replace that wire it will let you down.

Comment

Chris. Disconnect the wire from the mag. If the bike starts and runs properly, great! Ground the stud on the mag and it should kill the spark instantly. If so, the problem lies in the wire or switch. When measuring continuity at the stud, if the points are closed you are measuring the resistance of the primary side of the coil and depending on your meter setting may appear as continuity. Rotate the mag till the points are open and then measure, the coil will be out of the circuit by then and should be an open circuit, or 0 continuity, indicating that the grounding stud is insulated properly from the case.

Comment

Working...
      X