Reason for ignition condenser degrading or weakening over time article

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reason for ignition condenser degrading or weakening over time article

[I] remember partially reading a article in a AMCA magazine issue back in the 2010-2013 time frame If I remember correctly on the reasons thought or known to be be for the degrading or decomposing of the material's used inside of ignition condenser's and how/why the condensers of today do not last as long as the earlier parts. Does anyone here remember seeing this article, it was posted by a contributing writer in the back part of the issue. I have long since misplaced/lost the issue and would like to re read/absorb the content. I think I understand the working principle of the condenser, and understand that when they fail they can go "open" or "short" when they fail.
    I have personally had two fail the same way in the same bike "shorting" about 16 years apart. I think they were shorting because the bike was running fine when shut down and would not re start back up, the points were not burning up as in a "open" type of failure. The last time it failed I had just stopped and re filled the gas tank, I pushed the bike to the side and when I checked/found power to the points and a heavy sparking at the points I replaced the condenser with a spare I carried since the first failure and I had the correct ignition/light sparking at the points once again and at the plugs, the bike started right back up. This article talked about what was taking place when the condenser failed though. Thanks.

Mikey, are you following this?

http://www.antiquemotorcycle.org/bbo...eps-burning-up

Dale

Comment

Yes Dale, some of the information is there about the degradation of the insulation material. I do remember that, my question to the group was more did anybody remember the article and if they had/remembered it. I would like to re visit it again, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikey View Post
        Does anyone here remember seeing this article,
        I remember that article very well because, um, I wrote it. I don't know what issue it was in but my corresponence shows I submitted it May 17, 2010 so would have appeared in an issue a few months after that. It didn't appear as a separate article, but rather as a "special edition" of the regular technical column.

addendum: I found it. Fall 2011, p. 64
        Last edited by BoschZEV; 10-07-2018, 07:53 PM.

Comment

BoschZEV, I had typed a reply that took 45 minutes and it became lost when I tried to submit it. Long story short would you be willing to re submit tat article in this forum so that I and other curious minds might read and attempt to absorb the information.
          Thank you. (Mikey)

Comment

would you be willing to re submit tat article in this forum
            I just scanned the article (which is in the Winter 2011 edition -- I also had an article about magnetos in the Fall issue, which is the citation I gave in my previous post). Unfortunately, when I tried to upload it I got an error message saying the pdf is 2.1 MB and attachments are limited to 98 kB. Sorry.

Comment

Thank you for trying, at least now I know when/where it was published, now to find a copy. Thanks have a god day.

Comment

at least now I know when/where it was published
                Having now taken the time to actually glance at the two articles that I haven't looked at for seven years, the one in the Fall issue of 2011 describes in detail the mechanism responsible for capacitor breakdown and the one in the Winter issue describes my tests to identify an appropriate modern replacement.

Comment

Thanks BoschZEV.

Comment

Hi Bosch, would it be possible to scan the Fall article if you use E mail and send it as a attachment to my E mail address ??? mikesindian441@aol.com Thanks. Mikey

Comment

Hi BoschZEV I may have sent a question again, but I saw at the last moment after I sent the message that I had incorrectly listed your screen name so I will do it correctly this time. If you use e mail would it be possible for you to scan the fall 2001 article and send it over as a attachment to my e mail address?? Thanks. Mikey

Comment

Hi BoschZEV I may have sent a question again, but I saw at the last moment after I sent the message that I had incorrectly listed your screen name so I will do it correctly this time. If you use e mail would it be possible for you to scan the fall 2001 article and send it over as a attachment to my e mail address?? Thanks. Mikey
                        Sure, PM your email address and I'll send it.

Comment

BoschZEV it is mikesindian441@aol.com, thanks. Mikey

Comment

Working...
                          X