12 volt conversion 62 FLH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12 volt conversion 62 FLH

looking at converting my OEM 6 volt system to a 12 volt Generator regulator from vtwin. Has anyone used this or know of anyone who has?

The reason I am doing this is i keep going through regulators and I cant keep my battery charged when I am running my headlamp, and of course with a dead battery its a bit difficult to start.

Give me a hand if could please!

My friend Dave (1949 EL) and I (1940 EL) use the one from Tedd's and they have held up for many many miles. I carry a spare one in my tool bag just in case though. Follow the instructions. If I remember it has you do something different with one wire than a stock 6 volt relay. It's been so long since I did the conversion I can't remember what it was. They're much better than his square coils, six or twelve. Good luck. Rich
    DrSprocket

Comment

I used Northern Knucklehead for 12v conversion on 40el,with a 32e generator. Works flawlessly. I am sure they do the later generator also. Good luck

Comment

You could try a regulator from Cycle Electric before converting to 12v. They sell a square one CE-101 that would mount where the regulator does now on the stock bracket (hole pattern may be different) or the one that fits on the end of the generator CE-546. They are in Englewood, OH. V-twin doesn't carry all their products but a lot of small bike shops do. I think they come with a 2 yr. warranty. Wouldn't be stock but neither would the 12v conversion.
        Bob Rice #6738

Comment

I would stay away from V-Twin parts unless they are from Cycle Electric as Bob says. C.E. stuff is the best.

Comment

sknappy, I forgot to mention that I USE a Cycle Electric 65A generator with a 32E cover to look sort of stock with the 12V electronic regulator that is in the disguise of a 6V relay mounted in the stock position ((by timer) to sort of look stock too. Rich
            DrSprocket

Comment

Working...
            X