Wiring Harnesses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring Harnesses

My latest little annoyance with vendor parts has to do with wiring harnesses. Working on a '52 Chief and bought a harness from Greers that was cataloged as model specific for the 52/53 models. I was disappointed. There was a red wire, a bluish gray wire, a black wire with red tracer marks and all the other wires were black. I traced all of the wires using my multi wire and put the harness on the bike. After I hooked up the two wires to the voltage regulator, I found that the red wire to the battery was way too short. Greers told me that the black wire with the red slash marks was for the horn, but one end came out about where the carb sits. I got out the harness I purchased years ago from Indian Supply and things were better. Green wire and a black wire with red tracer marks to the voltage reg, red battery wire was long enough to actually reach the battery and there was a black wire with red tracer marks that was tied to the battery (goes to stop light switch). No horn wire, which was not a big deal, as the harness was for '48 and later models, not specific to a '52. The main fault with this harness was that the eyelet terminals for the ignition switch were sized for a 10-32 screw, not a 6-32. This is the harness I will use after I change the eyelet terminals. Given the amount of time I spent sorting all of this out, I would have been just as well off starting from scratch and making my own harness as I went along.

I'll be doing my wiring for my '47 Chief and I'd like to hear other experiences with wiring harnesses from vendors, or if making your own where did you get the wire and terminals? And what wiring diagram did you use?

I've wired several car builds, including a Jag when I was 18 that I discovered, too late, that was positive ground.

I like to do wiring and at this time I'm planning on doing it myself but interested in others experience.

Thanks.
    Terry

Comment

A great source for wire and supplies is Rhode Island wire. http://www.riwire.com

Not complete harnesses, but correct wire and supplies. Click the supply button to the left.

Comment

TH47Indy--I used the "Indian Chief Parts Book #67500" as my guide. I has a pictorial layout of the wires and components. It is to scale, i.e. is not just a schematic. The parts book was a repo item I got years ago from Indian Supply (Jim Sutter).

Comment

Originally posted by swall View Post
          TH47Indy--I used the "Indian Chief Parts Book #67500" as my guide. I has a pictorial layout of the wires and components. It is to scale, i.e. is not just a schematic. The parts book was a repo item I got years ago from Indian Supply (Jim Sutter).
          Replying late. It looks like Jim is retired and can't find the Parts Book #67500 with a search. The pictorial layout you describe sounds great, I have found some basic schematics but looking for more detail including gauge and color.

Any ideas where to find the book?
          Thanks

Comment

It's unfortunate what you get nowadays (wrong colors,wire lengths,terminal ends too thin,etc.) To me it seems 14 ga. wire and wire color is the tracer color and the pattern of the tracer color changed in different years as they may still have used the lucas pattern in the later years about '41 and later,but the experts need to chime in.

Comment

TH47Indy--The parts book is listed in Rocky's catalog, at least it still was in the 2009 edition I have. The next problem is how to get a hold of Rocky, as he is phasing out his business from what I understand.

Comment

Go to a swap meet if you are near one. Rocky was at Eustis, Oley and Denton so far this year and am sure he will be at Wauseon.

Tom (Rollo) Hardy
                AMCA#12766

Comment

Originally posted by Rollo View Post
                  Go to a swap meet if you are near one. Rocky was at Eustis, Oley and Denton so far this year and am sure he will be at Wauseon.

Tom (Rollo) Hardy
                  AMCA#12766
                  I'm in So. California and only making it to the Dixon meet this year. I'll keep an eye out for the parts book there.
                  Thanks.

Comment

If you're going to Dixon, stop at Kiwi's booth and see if they have their restoration guide available yet. Might have what you need.

Comment

Unfortunately I don't think Rocky travels that far west much but you never know what a vagabond will do! Good Luck!

Tom (Rollo) Hardy
                      AMCA#12766

Comment

TH47Indy--I stumbled upon the diagram yesterday while looking for wiring stuff in Starklite's catalog (CD version). So, I would give Gary Stark a call if you didn't find the diagram at Dixon.

Comment

Originally posted by swall View Post
                          TH47Indy--I stumbled upon the diagram yesterday while looking for wiring stuff in Starklite's catalog (CD version). So, I would give Gary Stark a call if you didn't find the diagram at Dixon.
                          I believe that I may an older Starklite catalog on CD, but not sure if I still have a computer around here with a CD reader. I do have their recent print catalog and there is a diagram in there.
                          Thanks.

Comment

Did you search the previous posts or I guess history? This subject was a topic not too long ago.

Comment

Working...
                            X