Autolite Generator-converting to 12v

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Autolite Generator-converting to 12v

Rebuilding my 6v Autolite generator for my '47 Chief and after reading the related posts on this site I'm considering going to 12v. As far as the generator is concerned, would I only need to switch to to 12v field coils and a 12v regulator? And is there a 12v regulator that looks like the original 6v?

I understand that I'll need a 12v coil, bulbs and battery, but need all of those parts anyways.

Thanks
    Terry

Terry!

There are a couple, if not a few recipes out there.

But I would go directly to IndianFrank@yahoo.com, and not just because I know him personally,...

But that helps.

...Cotten
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 12-14-2016, 05:56 PM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Thanks Tom.

I have read several good post about Indian Frank and his work. I was hoping to do most of the work on the general generator rebuild myself then have an expert complete it.

I'll send Frank an email to get his advice and see if my plan makes sense.

Comment

I have built four 12V alternators using Kubota Dynamo's, by refering to the article written by Greg Yerex in the thread re:generators found on the old VirtualIndian.org website. The unit, when finished looks just like the stock Autolite generator and regulator, they work perfectly and are a lot less expensive to build. I'v built some with OEM Kubota parts, as well as aftermarket parts found on EBay, (lots cheaper, work just as well). Worth a look, if you want an alternative. Indian Frank built a 12V gen for me many years ago, and it too works perfectly. Both choices are worth checking out. The Kubota units use the left-side end plate, long through-bolts, generator strap, and a non-functioning regulator from old or scrap parts, fairly easy to find. Like I mentioned, its another choice thats worth looking into, especially if you have old generators laying around. Good Luck

Comment

How about a picture of the units you're describing? Thanks

Comment

Working...
          X