Tach input help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tach input help

Im working on a 1974 FXE that had electrical issues when i got it.
    I'm returning it to a near stock configuration with the original tachometer and an aftermarket regulator.
    While looking at the electrical print, I see a lead coming out of the original regulator
    that goes to the tach. (PINK WIRE) Unfortunately, I don't have a stock regulator and can't seem to find one yet.
    My question is: Is there an alternate way to deliver a signal to the tach?
    I seem to remember other set ups where a signal was taken from the coil for tach input.
    Any guidance would be helpful.
    Thanks!

Eddie,
    If my memory serves me well you are correct. You should be able to land the tach input wire, pink, on the output side of the coil. The output side being the one not marked or possibly marked with a - symbol. The other side of the coil, hot side, input side, should be marked with a + symbol. This side of the coil will be hot whenever the ignition key is turned on and will not work if you land the pink tach wire there.

Comment

Lyle, Your memory still serves you well. I googled "harley tachometer wiring diagram" and found these images.
      William
      Attached Files
      William Edwards, AMCA #10035

Attend the 2019 Southern National Meet at Denton Farmpark, NC, 17-18 May 2019
      http://www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com/

Comment

Thanks Guys! Appreciate the help.
        Ed

Comment

Working...
        X