Voltage regulator advice need.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Voltage regulator advice need.

Hi, i'm converting my '51 Servi to 12v with a Cycle Electric 65a generator, a repo square coil, and small battery. Would like to use one of those "look-a-like" regulators in the
    original relay style, or should I go with the Cycle Electric bolt-on low output regulator, or maybe a bosch mechanical type? Advice on any of these would be much appreciated.
    (newbie) Thanks.

Jeff!

Anything but one of the ugly end-mount regulators!
    (It can interfere with the footclutch on solos, but I am unfamiliar with Servis)

CE makes standard generators that would look 'authentic', especially with a cover, and they also make conventional SS regulators that would hide beneath on a bracket, as would a Bosch.
    I have no experience with the 'look-a-likes', but heard nothing bad about them at all.

You would not need a low-voltage regulator unless your battery is housed within a hot oil tank. Solos do not, but then I'm totally clueless about Servis.

....Cotten
    PS: If you still have ¼" mounting screw holes through your case, you will need to install ¼"-24 Helicoil inserts in the generator. They will fit in the 5/16"-24 holes without any tapping.
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 04-20-2016, 08:32 AM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

The Bosch mechanical regulator works ok for this conversion. Do yourself a favor, and avoid the "12 v conversion battery 12N5.53B " as it will need water added about every week. Find an AGM battery.
      VPH-D

Comment

VPH-D!

The boiling issue is typical for OHV applications within a hot oil tank, and that is why the low-voltage regulators were developed.
        (Ask Carl at CE; I was the first to ask for one for early models.)

The only issue with 12N-5.5a-3B batteries is that they should be arbitrarily discarded every springtime anyway. They are cheap enough to do so. AGMs are not.

Please note that most Bosch regulators are set for a XLCH 12N7-4a battery, which is pretty close... but could probably be adjusted 'exact' by a pro with such things.

....Cotten
        Last edited by T. Cotten; 04-20-2016, 01:09 PM.
        AMCA #776

Comment

Cotton,
          I started using the 3B battery back in the 70s, prior to the low output regulator, with various results over the years. I have two 12v Panheads right now with AGM batteries that are entering their 3rd season. I'm pretty happy with their performance so far. Noot has the model number on his website.
          VPH-D

Comment

One question I gotta ask, VPH-D,..

Is: Do you want to learn the extended lifetime of an expensive battery by an expensive burnt armature?
            Its safer in the long run to just replace a cheap battery every spring.

....Cotten
            PS: I'm not familiar with "Noot"?
            Attached Files
            AMCA #776

Comment

Working...
            X