Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need Armature numbers for early Harley Generators?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Armature numbers for early Harley Generators?

Hi There,

I'm needing to get the part numbers for the early Harley Generator armatures. Can anyone please send me a couple of scanned pictures of the early Harley Generators exploded views that has the part numbers on it. I have a bunch of early generators (Model A, B, C) that I would like to get in running order. A lot of the people I've tried to contact reply saying what part number an I can't order parts unless I have proper Harley number.

Thanks
    Brian
    AMCA 27739

Where are you going to order armatures for early twenties Harley generators from?
    Just curious who has them.
    Mark
    Mark Masa
    www.linkcycles.com

Comment

Sorry I didn't realize that they don't make reproductions. Nice way to treat a new member trying to learn something.

Comment

45-Brian!

It may be best to find a "re-winding" service, that will rebuild your original armatures as they find it. A multiple models of quality reproductions would be cost-prohibitive, at least for now..

Unfortunately, re-winders are nearly extinct, just like the hardware.

....Cotten
        PS: If you find an armature serviceperson up to the task, please pick his/her brain thoroughly, and post us for Posterity.
        Last edited by T. Cotten; 11-27-2015, 03:24 PM.
        AMCA #776
        Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Brian
          Sorry you took offense to that. I was actually just asking you a question, not being snarky.

Cotten and everyone else who may care, need an armature rewound? White Armature is a good source. www.whitearmature.com
          I've been using them for years now. Fast, quality work. I've had them rewind and replace commutators on a number of JD armatures. Cost is about $75 each. It all depends on the physical size of the armature. They are one of the last ones left.
          Mark

Originally posted by 45-Brian View Post
          Sorry I didn't realize that they don't make reproductions. Nice way to treat a new member trying to learn something.
          Mark Masa
          www.linkcycles.com

Comment

I'm finding that out pretty quickly. Finding a rewinder is going to be a challenge. I'm almost considering rewinding it myself. I am a Master Electrician and fully understand what a generator does and how it works. I just trying to find the equipment I will need to do the job right. It would be nice if anyone has any testing specs, currents, amps, turns / wraps..... that they would be nice if they were able to pass it along. Not looking forward to counting wraps of wire, God forbid I lose count near the end. Oh well Rome wasn't built in a day.
            Thanks Cotton for your kind words in your response, and I will pass any information along if I find it.

Cheers Brian

Comment

Brian
              Did you not read my post?
              White armature.
              Mark
              Mark Masa
              www.linkcycles.com

Comment

Originally posted by MMasa View Post
                Brian
                Did you not read my post?
                White armature.
                Mark
                I think he's ignoring you Mark....you're so disrespectful you know...lol

By the way...thanks for the lead.

Comment

Yes Mark I see that you suggested White Armature and Thank you for suggesting them. They look like an excellent shop. I'm just going to try and see if there is anybody closer to home. Thats all.
                  Thanks Brian

Comment

Alright, i'll be snarky Where is home?I think USPS and UPS go everywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by duffeycycles View Post
                      Alright, i'll be snarky Where is home?I think USPS and UPS go everywhere.
                      Your to funny lol...... I live in Calgary Alberta Canada. I'm guessing about a 4 - 5 hr plane ride from Whites Armature. I'm not rejecting White's yet, but my luck shipping stuff is horrible. I've currently got 3 miss directed parcels that I'm trying to track down. UPS absolutely rapes us here in Canada. ie: I bought a Harley 32e Generator for about $75.00 or so, Ups Charged a whopping$130.00 for Brokerage Fee's PLUS SHIPPING OF $50.00. There is No regulations for Brokers and what they can charge. So they pretty much have you by the nuts, cause they have your parcel and you have NO other avenues. I usually don't accept anything shipped vis UPS. Besides winding field coils and armatures isn't that bad once you tool up for it. It's the set up thats a time cruncher. I used to do them about 30 - 40 years ago. I just need some equipment. Got some coming already (If it makes it here)I also have about 100 or so generators to do and it might get a little expensive sending every armature out for a rewind. Shipping rates right now are also stupidly expensive, the JD one's I'll probably send out but the other 90 I want to do in-house if at all possible. again Field coils are pretty easy, and the armatures are a little tougher just need the specs again. Oh by the way you have redeemed yourself.

Cheers Brian

Comment

That's a much better description.In the states we don't worry about that mess.If you gear up you will be the Canada armature guy!

Comment

Originally posted by duffeycycles View Post
                          /....If you gear up you will be the Canada armature guy!
                          With all due respect to White (and I thank Mark),
                          But Duffey!

I learned the hard way that anyone who really "gears up" for vintage oddities better be ready to serve all of the planet.

And t'ain't easy.

Please yourself first, Brian,...

....Cotten
                          Last edited by T. Cotten; 12-01-2015, 04:32 PM.
                          AMCA #776
                          Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Working...
                          X