No announcement yet.

QuickStart 2000 Electronic ignition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When it worked it was good but I think it was the fluctuations in charge from the old 6v generator that it couldn't cope with on my VL. Ed repaired it once but it failed again and as Cotton said originally you can't repair it under a bridge abuttment in the rain, a long ways from home. The second time I had the points with me so after about 30 minutes I was on my way again. I try to be stupid on anything that can stop me once only. The points remain in the bike today and I have a screwdriver and feeler gauges for a quick gap check in my gear. That's the only thing that puzzles me. The points gap change.
    My advice. If it ain't broke leave it alone.

Comment

...assertion in the third paragraph above still the same a year and a half later, sometimes you gotta take a holistic approach to solve a seemingly localized issue/challenge. Running original electrical systems in modern riding conditions with a stiff upper lip against the winds of logic and what's now available is romantic - go for it - I don't like walking home or even getting my flashlight out. Ed's quick start and Clyde's Indian version has worked on 5 machines flawlessly for over 20 years. Don't trust electronics, don't get on an airplane again.
      Cheerio,
      Peter
      1950 Vincent - A Red Rapide Experience

Comment

I was involved in the early development of the Quickstart for the VL and had it fitted to my race bike for a while. I did not find any advantage and switched back to points.

Comment

Howdy Steve,

And that would make sense, a stronger more accurately delivered spark only begins to assert itself as the efficiency of the device to which it is fitted improves with compression, cams, and revs increasing/rising.
          Cheerio,
          Peter
          1950 Vincent - A Red Rapide Experience

Comment

Working...
          X