QuickStart 2000 Electronic ignition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QuickStart 2000 Electronic ignition

Anyone have any pros or cons on the " QuickStart 2000 Electronic Ignition ? I am thinking of putting one on my '49 Pan ( 6 volt ) . Thank you

I always wondered, 1970 XLCH,..

How would you fix one under a bridge abuttment in the rain, a long ways from home?
    Cell phone?

....Cotten
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

I have 4 Panheads, all of which have stock timers. They all start pretty well, as is.
      VPH-D

Comment

Most vehicles made in the last 40 years have electronic ignition and motors last longer-points are ok too

Comment

Originally posted by duffeycycles View Post
          Most vehicles made in the last 40 years have electronic ignition and motors last longer-points are ok too
          Duffey!

So,. that's like five years into AMCA territory?

How many of those survive OEM intact, we wonder...
          Restoring later vintages may become more of a game of what you hide than what you show.

....Cotten
          AMCA #776

Comment

Originally posted by 1970 XLCH View Post
            Anyone have any pros or cons on the " QuickStart 2000 Electronic Ignition ? I am thinking of putting one on my '49 Pan ( 6 volt ) . Thank you
            I have no experience with that electronic ignition,but I would be curious what the minimum voltage is required to switch.I read of some that needed 5.5 volts minimum so may not start on low battery where points would.
            Tom

Comment

Cotton,out of 5 bikes in shop today,there is '82 '83 & '85 with original ignition[the '85 has 500K miles]The other 2 are newer bikes w/electronic

Comment

Duffey!

Weren't there bugs in the early H-D electronics?
                I can remember one that wouldn't start until we loaded into a truck, and then it fired.

Seems like I sold a lot of "points conversions" back then...

....Cotten
                AMCA #776

Comment

It's actually shocking to see this many with early electronic ignitions in working order.The early ones used a 4.5 ohm coil.Another customers '82 last year was smashed in crash-up to '82 used the silver cup-have to change that to go modern ignition[and add VOES]

Comment

Scary thought but early fuel injected BMWs will be antiques in 5 years

Comment

The first generation electronic ignitions ALL failed. We had a visiting factory rider's ignition fail during the 75th Anniversary Ride to Milwaukee, and had to steal a replacement from a new bike on the showroom floor, as they were on back order at the time. Retro-fitting points was very popular back then. IIRC, the ignition changed in 1980, and was more reliable.
                      VPH-D

Comment

They did not all fail.I have seen a few with the early ignition intact.This '79 sporty in for rear chain last week,is still running the early funky system.

Comment

Howdy sir,

Getting back on topic for which this device has little/no correlation to discussions on early HD electronic ignitions, engine mgmt or EFI. It is a simple hall type switch for which a magnet passing over it causes it to switch primary coil voltage on/off - more efficiently and reliably - these switches are often used in very extreme environments. Those distrusting this type of device over a mechanical switch should not step aboard a commercial flight or enter a hospital for even some routine tests.

Reference 41Fl install. Pro's. Completely predictable cold starts, two kicks choke ignition off one kick ignition on no choke. Have not fouled a plug since. Because of superior coil saturation and better controlled dwell, stronger spark resists carbon fouling associated with high cylinder pressures accompanying heavy throttle application at low rev's. Plugs cleaner in general.

Cons. Yes, this and the Indian version will not operate at very low battery voltages which sorta begs another question anyway...with only a couple of changes a vintage charging system's reliability can be improved exponentially. Do not recommend for non fused systems, resolute rat owners and preserved barn finds festooned with deteriorating home lamp wiring and twist nuts. For the superior performance provided, virtually eliminating routine ignition maintenance, the installer is merely asked to provide a stable voltage short-free platform for it to operate. As an extension of that, a cutout system is fine, just don't run one with a burn out headlight with the light switch on rendering the system virtually unregulated.

Though mid year Shovel electronic ignitions would have pickup problems at the crank trigger my main complaint was with their seemingly 2 bit processor which fed in ignition advance in steps. Believe these early analog devices were made by Quasar or Magnavox. HD made a fine upgrade kit based on what they'd learned with the blockhead which improved engine flexibility immensely with added bonus of longer coil life. Still have mine on one machine over 25 years later.

Most failures with these units could likely be traced to HD's retention of circuit breakers, totally unsuitable to sensitive electronic applications as the breakers would cycle and reset repeatedly eventually cooking these components when a fuse would have merely blown saving them.
                          Last edited by PRG; 09-02-2015, 09:23 PM.
                          Cheerio,
                          Peter
                          1950 Vincent - A Red Rapide Experience

Comment

I had an electronic system installed on my 1984 Moto Guzzi V65Sp in 1987. There has been no problems with the trigger in all that time. In the past few years, a problem has emerged that is probably due to the coil becoming heat sensitive. I have a new coil that I'll stick in the bike one of these days. Hopefully, that will take care of the bike's tendency to run on 1 1/2 cylinders when at full operating temperature. I cannot feel bad about replacing a coil every 28 years. It has been wonderful having the ignition timing being spot on all those years without doing any ignition maintenance.
                            George Tinkham
                            Springfield, IL
                            www.virmc.com
                            AMCA # 1494
                            1941 Indian 841
                            1948 Indian Chief
                            1956 H-D KHK
                            1960 CH
                            1964 BMW R69S
                            1966 Honda Touring Benly (aka "150 Dream")
                            1984 Moto Guzzi V65Sp

Comment

I have a E2000 i bought a year ago but don't have the instructions does anybody have a copy?

Comment

Working...
                              X