VW generator on '48 Chief not charging correctly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VW generator on '48 Chief not charging correctly

In the late '60s, I replaced my failing stock generator on my '48 Chief with a Bosch generator off a scrapped VW. This had worked fine for many years and for many miles. Lately, however, none of the local experts can get my setup to charge as it should. I am told that the generator is fine. I have replaced the voltage regulator.

A mechanic in my club urges me to replace the generator with a modern 12 V unit that may be more reliable. I have history with this old bike and everything I have done to (& with) it through the years. I do not want to make such a drastic change unless I must.
    Does anyone have a suggestion as to what I might do to get this fine machine back on the road? I am considering looking for a solid state voltage regulator that will work on the VW generator.

Your input would be appreciated.
    George Tinkham
    Springfield, IL
    www.virmc.com
    AMCA # 1494
    1941 Indian 841
    1948 Indian Chief
    1956 H-D KHK
    1960 CH
    1964 BMW R69S
    1966 Honda Touring Benly (aka "150 Dream")
    1984 Moto Guzzi V65Sp

George!

There is still hope if you have your original hardware: IndianFrank@yahoo.com

His 12v conversions are state-o'-the-art.

....Cotten
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
      George!

There is still hope if you have your original hardware: IndianFrank@yahoo.com

His 12v conversions are state-o'-the-art.

....Cotten
      I ran a Bosch 6-v (still have it, on the shelf) for about 7 years, but never felt comfortable with the batteries. I replaced with 12-v alternator about 15 years ago, and am much more confident now, and the "change" wasn't radical. But if the Bosch is what you want to run I suggest getting the biggest and best 6-v battery (similar to stock are available) to go with it. 15 years ago it seems I had to run either several smaller 6's with low amp-hour rating or the Harley 6-v. I think you can get the better 6-v batts today.

Comment

back in the day, used VW 6 volts on Indians & Harleys due to cost, direct drive Harley won't charge at idle ok down the road. Indian drive pulley can not be made larger due to clearance, use smallest possible pulley on generator with 1 size smaller cog belt & correct VW regulator. charges great with no 3 brush worries. I am using the battery shell & insert battery that I bought from Rocky. over the years even riding with junk battery, lights & engine would run fine, lights dim at idle.keeps bike stock except gen.

Comment

Working...
        X