6volt system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6volt system

I was on a ride on my newly restored Panhead and all of a sudden it quit running. What I found out is that the battery has a short or loose plate. My question is shouldn't the motor still run off the generator. The reason I'm asking I want to make sure there is nothing else wrong in the charging system or something that caused the battery to go bad, it's only 8 mos. old. Thanks

Hmm, not sure if a shorted battery will stop the genny from supplying lectricity while the engine is running. If one cell was short the battery voltage would be down to 4 volts, and all the genny electricity might be going through the short in the battery. The way to tell if your benny is ok is to replace the battery, measure battery voltage with bike not running, start the bike, then see if the battery voltage has gone up. If it has your genny is fine (you might have to rev the bike a bit). If the voltage stays the same, your genny/cutout/regulator is not working.
    I wrote some stuff om genny's earlier on this forum that might help you. Here's the link...

http://www.antiquemotorcycle.org/bbo...-cutout-issues

Cheers, littlejohn

Comment

To answer your question...Yes the bike will run off the generator, but not with a dead short in the battery...Quick and Dirty...Start the bike with a good battery and while idling disconnect the ground wire. If the bike still runs your charging system is working. That's the way I always check to it in the field...If you have a VOM of course Little John's technique works...

Comment

Ok the battery turned out to be bad although it was new last September. I just put a new one in, and with motor running it quits as soon as I pull the fuse. (Added feature) so apparently the charging system is not working correct, my guess is the voltage regulator is not working correctly. (It is the original one) I did buy a new generator when I did the restoration.
        Thank

Comment

Originally posted by 61 pan View Post
          Ok the battery turned out to be bad although it was new last September. I just put a new one in, and with motor running it quits as soon as I pull the fuse. (Added feature) so apparently the charging system is not working correct, my guess is the voltage regulator is not working correctly. (It is the original one) I did buy a new generator when I did the restoration.
          Thank
          Hello,
          I suggest you test the generator output separately. It's in the Service Manual.

I don't believe the motor will run on just the generator, but I'm waiting to see if someone with good experience will pop in here....

Comment

Ok, I assume the fuse you added then pulled out is connected directly to the positive terminal of the battery? i.e before the the ignition switch? If that's the case, the bike should still run on the generator voltage after the fuse is pulled out. So, first thing, make sure your belt from the engine is tight so that the genny can spin fast enough. Check that both pullies are spinning i.e engine pulley and genny pulley. there could be a broken keyway on one of the pullies. With the bike running, check the voltages going into and out of the voltage regulator. if there's no voltage in, the genny is faulty. if there is volts into the regulator but no volts out the regulator is faulty (or your wiring is wrong).
            Also, put some foam or rubber matting under your battery to help with the vibration so that it won't fail again.

Comment

Originally posted by littlejohn View Post
              Ok, I assume the fuse you added then pulled out is connected directly to the positive terminal of the battery? i.e before the the ignition switch? If that's the case, the bike should still run on the generator voltage after the fuse is pulled out. So, first thing, make sure your belt from the engine is tight so that the genny can spin fast enough. Check that both pullies are spinning i.e engine pulley and genny pulley. there could be a broken keyway on one of the pullies. With the bike running, check the voltages going into and out of the voltage regulator. if there's no voltage in, the genny is faulty. if there is volts into the regulator but no volts out the regulator is faulty (or your wiring is wrong).
              Also, put some foam or rubber matting under your battery to help with the vibration so that it won't fail again.

John....there's no pulley's on a panhead generator, it is gear driven. and secondly, depending on the year and/or set-up it may not have a regulator.

Comment

Oh, ok, no pulley. I only really know about Indian gennies. Just trying to transfer my knowledge of them over to harley's, to try and help 61 pan. I still think the bike should run just on the genny without the battery.
                Looked on another harley site and got the test procedure for harley gennies an regs.

harley gen and reg checking d.jpgharley gen and reg checking c.jpgharley gen and reg checking a.jpg

Comment

harley gen and reg checking d.jpg last page...

Comment

a page i missed. hope it still makes sense.
                    harley gen and reg checking b.jpg

Comment

Working...
                    X