Any decent 6 volt coils?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any decent 6 volt coils?

Is there any place to buy a reliable 6 v. coil for my JD? I have mounted a v-twin side valve coil, and it lasted 5 starts on this scoot I'm building then died.

If you have a JD Coil, I understand Harbor Vintage can rebuild it. I think they clean out the guts and put another coil inside the case. There are some European repro coils for the JD but have no experience with them.

Geloman:
    http://www.geloman.de/coils.JPG
    Dan Margolien
    Yankee Chapter National Meet July 31/August 1 2020 at the TERRYVILLE Fairgounds, Terryville CT.
    Www.yankeechapter.org
    Pocketvalve@gmail.com

Comment

The original JD coil has the condensor internaly.So If you were using a later flathead coil, you had no condensor in the circuit. Its no problem to add a condensor externaly to the ignition circuit. I would stay away from V-twin reproduction coils. I would try the round aftermarket twin lead coil. Don't forget to add a condensor.

Comment

As the story goes, the V-Twin coils are wired backwards, so you must reverse your wires at the coil. I got several years use out of a V-Twin 12v coil, and it was still working when I took it off. It was replaced with a factory style -65 coil and mount because I was afraid it would drop dead on me.
        VPH-D

Comment

I have a condenser on my points setup (same as 1974 shovel points & condenser). Should I add another to the coil?

Bro74

Comment

If you have a condenser on your points set up your fine. The story about the V-twin coils wired backwards is just a story. Doesn't matter which way you wire, they don't last long. On another forum it was thought that backward wiring was the short life problem but they now claim it doesn't really matter.

Comment

Working...
            X