32E opportunities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 32E opportunities

I am tring to figure this out. Amps go to zero and voltage goes up when I increase the rpm even, only a couple of hundred rpm. The battery is new 6v 14ah and I have checked the wiring and have no grounds. Generator has been checked out and is in good shape. Is this normal or do I still have other issues?

Originally posted by lightninss View Post
    I am tring to figure this out. Amps go to zero and voltage goes up when I increase the rpm even, only a couple of hundred rpm. The battery is new 6v 14ah and I have checked the wiring and have no grounds. Generator has been checked out and is in good shape. Is this normal or do I still have other issues?
    I cant offer anything specific to your MC but some general info may apply.
    Usually an ammeter is wired with battery on one side and everything else on the other,so it shows current to and from the battery,or the difference between load and gen.output not the generator output.If it was discharging and you raised rpm and it moved to zero,that would be normal,indicating the gen output now equals the load.
    Tom

Comment

I have put ammeter on both sides of battery, I have 2 amps at idle 4 amps with lights on, any increase in throttle amps go to zero.

Comment

Howdy sir,

Probably figured it out by now, but a generator may "test out" on the bench when motored at a 100 rpm (one really needs to motor a 32E on each field coil individually to not only verify function but to ensure they are wired for correct rotation) each circuit but have output issues at road speed. Your third brush has very little surface area as a conductor unlike your ground and armature brushes. If your commutator surface is not clean and flat, brush spring tension low or a new brush not perfectly radiused for full contact on the commutator you'll get a voltage rise with rpm but current flow (amps) may not. Mind you, your 3rd brush only controls output on your regulated field coil, the shunt coil when light switch flipped is straight wired so even with a third brush issue you'd still have output based on healthy armature and ground brushes on this circuit. That's what's odd here. At any rate, also good to check the other brushes as well but the third is generally the most suspect.

If needing to clean/dress your commutator don't use anything with metal in it, 3M automotive sand paper, 400 to knock the grooves off, 600 to finish, clean the segment grooves thoroughly when finished to ensure no metal residue to act as a conductor between segments.
        Last edited by PRG; 02-13-2014, 08:21 PM.
        Cheerio,
        Peter
        1950 Vincent - A Red Rapide Experience

Comment

If you 32E works at low rpm but the voltage gets to high at higher rpm it is often a problem with the battery even if new, if only one cell has not the full capacity your battery cannot work as the buffer for the voltage. I added a pic for your from Uncle Frank Q&A 1937 No 106 about 'Battery Holds Down Generator Voltage. Maybe this helps you. Battery&GeneratorVoltage.jpg
          Martin Brill

www.brillantparts.com

Comment

Need some clarification on your amp meter reading. You state that it reads 2 amps ign, 4 amps lights at idle. Is that a discharge reading? It would be reasonable to assume it is, but we'd need that verified. IF it is a discharge reading, then things may well be working normally, in that as you increase revs, the discharge condition goes away as the generator puts out more power. Eventually, as revs are increased, you should see an increase in the other direction, ie, charge into the battery. Does that happen?
            F

Comment

Working...
            X