Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vintage Tachometer expertise... someone here must be up on this stuff.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vintage Tachometer expertise... someone here must be up on this stuff.

Ok... so here is what I am trying to accomplish. It's not motorcycle related, but since you guys know tachs more than vintage car people... my guess is that I will get the best advice here.

I am trying to put a tachometer on a 1925 Derby-built Silver Ghost. It is an 8 Liter (roughly) six cylinder engine with both a magneto and a distributor ignition that work simultaneously (12 plugs, six cylinders) The car has no provision to take a mechanical cable drive off from cam, dynamo, distributor, etc. to power a cable-operated tachometer. In "theory" I could put a gear PTO on the magneto drive and use that, but that is kludgy and raises all kinds of issues mechanically.

The ideal solution is to use an electronic tachometer of some kind. Here's my rub... my redline is 1750 RPM, so almost any electronic tach is going to register almost no needle sweep. So even if I put a modern gauge in, a 10,000 RPM tach that generally runs at 600 RPM (and idles at about 100 RPM) is pretty much useless.

There are some lower RPM tachometers out there, including some older Sun units. One I have seen that looks great is for sale on eBay right now, but it is a four-cylinder unit and I am not sure if it can be adapted... or if they made an identical unit for a six. In terms of 'look and feel' this is an ideal unit, even though it appears to need an occasional battery change.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171167952358...#ht_643wt_1158

There are also some units out there such as this panel meters unit, which is utterly perfect, but I don't know how to "drive it" and feed input into it... or whether it's even possible?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360768634661...#ht_261wt_1158

So interested in any thoughts... or leads as to who can set something like this up in as 'bolt-on' a manner as possible. I can't imagine it's not a solvable problem. I just suck at electrical things.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Have you tried Jalopy Journal?
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5
    AMCA #765

Comment

Len:

Looks like an interesting place to search or ask a question... and I might get there. But before heading off into the great unknowns of an unfamiliar Internet forum, figured I would tap some people I trust!

Thanks for the lead, however!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

You may have already found your answer, but to give you a direction to look is diesel tachometers for a lower rpm range and magnetic pickups to read them. My tractor has a 3000 rpm and several trucks have 4000 sweep. Not my field but just a thought while feeding the cows

Comment

If this is any good to you you're welcome to it.
          It's out of a 6 cylinder diesel Ford truck of the late 70's
          Regards, Tommo
          Attached Files
          Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
          A.M.C.A. # 2777
          Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Comment

Working...
          X