32E Generator Field coil install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 32E Generator Field coil install

I bought new field coils for my 32E generator. They seem too "fat or thick" and when I tighten the two screws through the housing to the shoe, they do NOT pull in far enough to allow me to slide the armature back in. I emailed Kurt at Flatlandmotorcycles and he told me that he has sold dozens a year and they never had any issues with them. He said they have to be made to fit... So, anyone know the secret to "Fitting" new coils?

So, how do I flatten the coil down enough to allow me to slide the armature into the housing?

"Know what I mean Vern"??

OR should I just contact Rich Brown from CT?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Jim; 10-22-2013, 07:49 AM.
    Jim

AMCA #6520

I had the same problem. Gene Harper recommended using an exhaust pipe expander on the pole shoes. Worked like a charm.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

I suppose you mean to install the new fields and then insert the exhaust pipe expander INSIDE and then "expand" it? Hmmm... sounds like a good idea. But, Now I need to know where to borrow one locally.

Thanks for the tip!!

Originally posted by exeric View Post
      I had the same problem. Gene Harper recommended using an exhaust pipe expander on the pole shoes. Worked like a charm.
      Jim

AMCA #6520

Comment

Did you use an impact screwdriver?

Comment

check this for tail pipe expander.

http://www.harborfreight.com/automot...e/exhaust.html
          AMCA #10930

Comment

Originally posted by larry View Post
            Did you use an impact screwdriver?
            No, I used a Snap-On Screwdriver that has the "Wrench" fitting up near the handle. That way, you can really get a lot of torque with them...

Originally posted by Knotthed View Post
            Thanks for that link! Although, tonight I am going to ask my neighbor... he is always buying obscure "tools". I will find one. (Free) ;^) I know a few guys that "may" have one now that I think of it...

Seems kind of "funny" that these need to be "fitted". But, I suppose that the H-D ones are long gone (Unless the H-D fields had "fit" issues too?) and all we have are repops. I don't mind using reproduction stuff as long as it is decent. These are supposed to be made in the USA too.
            Jim

AMCA #6520

Comment

Jim,

All field coils need/needed to be fitted no matter if OEM Harley or the reproductions. As I said, I sell a lot of these to generator builders and have never had any negative feedback about their install, quality or function.

Kurt

Comment

Jim,

Don't try to pull them in just using the screws, you'll likely booger up the screws and not get them in tight anyway. Harbor freight has cheap pipe expanders, or get friendly with somebody at your local muffler shop. Have the pole shoes in place, with the fields and screws started. Once you get a good expander inside, just open it up tight and set the screws. It works very quickly. Be careful if you get one of the monkeys at Midas running a hydraulic expander, they could distort the case, just snug them up until the pole shoe is tight against the body.

Gene

Comment

Originally posted by KDR View Post
                  Jim,

All field coils need/needed to be fitted no matter if OEM Harley or the reproductions. As I said, I sell a lot of these to generator builders and have never had any negative feedback about their install, quality or function.

Kurt
                  Thanks Kurt, as you can see, I am taking your advice on how to fit them in. Seeing how this is my first attempt at repairing my generator, I have to learn some new tricks. I was just under the impression that they were a "bolt in" replacement. ;^) I didn't know that about the H-D ones either. Thanks for that info as well. I can relate these to a "rust repair" panel for a car in auto body work. When they are made, they need to be "fit" to the car. They always need to be "fit". To me, it is no big deal and I expect it when repairing with a rust panel, but to a backyard mechanic... it can be out of his experience range.

Originally posted by gharper View Post
                  Jim,

Don't try to pull them in just using the screws, you'll likely booger up the screws and not get them in tight anyway. Harbor freight has cheap pipe expanders, or get friendly with somebody at your local muffler shop. Have the pole shoes in place, with the fields and screws started. Once you get a good expander inside, just open it up tight and set the screws. It works very quickly. Be careful if you get one of the monkeys at Midas running a hydraulic expander, they could distort the case, just snug them up until the pole shoe is tight against the body.

Gene
                  Thanks for the TIP! I never thought to use a hydraulic expander as I don't think it will take much to get the armature back in anyway. It looks like all it needs to fit is just a silly millimeter larger. Neighbor won't be home till the weekend. Looks like I will expand my search of "friends" for one, or just wait till Saturday.
                  Jim

AMCA #6520

Comment

Your local auto electic shop will have a proper tool for the job. More of a precision tool than a pipe expander. Probably charge you just a few dollars.
                    Kyle Oanes AMCA # 3046

Comment

Who do we contact to get a set of these field coils?

RT

Comment

Originally posted by Bro74 View Post
                        Who do we contact to get a set of these field coils?

RT
                        I bought my set from http://www.flatlandmotorcyclecompany.com/ and just to be clear... make sure you understand that new field coils will need to be fit to your housing. They are NOT a direct bolt in... and from what I understand, neither were original H-D coils. ;^)
                        Jim

AMCA #6520

Comment

Jim,
                          When I replace field coils I use a magnetic compass and a battery to make sure the polarity is correct.

Comment

Originally posted by TimR View Post
                            Jim,
                            When I replace field coils I use a magnetic compass and a battery to make sure the polarity is correct.
                            Funny you should mention that! Another guy (RvP) had also told me to use a compass to see if the wires were put on backwards when I first started to diagnose my Generator problem. This originally started with this post: http://www.antiquemotorcycle.org/bbo...and-Headlights

You can see later in that post what I initially found out what my problem was!
                            Jim

AMCA #6520

Comment

OK, I now have my coils installed using a tail pipe expansion tool. It wasn't too bad. I now have the ORANGE DOT coil installed as the regulating coil, and WHITE DOT coil as the Shunt coil. All the wires are white. Yes, I know that the Regulating Coil wires go to (+) brush and (3rd) brush and the Shunt coil wires go to (-) brush and the Switch.

Now... what is the easiest way to determine the wiring? just follow the 32E wire diagram? I have attached 2 pics of my gen. with wires labeled A, B , C and D. Hope that helps. Thanks for the help!
                              Attached Files
                              Jim

AMCA #6520

Comment

Working...
                              X