Charge 6 V with 12 V trickle charger?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charge 6 V with 12 V trickle charger?

Is it true that you can keep a 6 volt battery charged over the winter with one of the plug in 12 volt trickle battery chargers?

Your avatar says" Hardly dangerous", change the" hardly" to" really".With that said spend $20. on a 6/12 volt battery maintainer .

Comment

Originally posted by Panuckle View Post
      Your avatar says" Hardly dangerous", change the" hardly" to" really".With that said spend $20. on a 6/12 volt battery maintainer .
      Good one lol,
      I'll spend the $, haven't seen one of those but can't be too hard to find, thanks.
      I just heard . . .

Comment

The Battery Tender company makes a 6 volt unit that I have been using for years.
        Jim D.
        Jim D

Comment

Have a 6/12v Schumacher tender at Wally World for $20, or you can buy it at O'Reilly's for $30

Comment

Originally posted by NicoNP View Post
            Is it true that you can keep a 6 volt battery charged over the winter with one of the plug in 12 volt trickle battery chargers?
            The only way I would and have charged 6v with 12v charger is to do 2 6v at a time, wired in series.Doesnt sound like what your looking to do.
            Tom

Comment

Sears has a nice 6/12 volt for $30....$20 on sale!

Comment

I've got two of the $20. schumacher tenders for my two riders.If i bought them in canada they would have cost $46. each.EEKS....John

Comment

I have been using the Battery Tender brand for many years. Last battery for elec start '69 lasted 7 years. I have a dual port I hook my lawn mower batteries up over winter, again lasted many years. I had my single port 12v go on me this year, it was 8 years old, Battery Tender warranty is 10 yrs, they replaced for shipping charges. They aren't made in Deltona, FL anymore, now China, the same place that financies this country. But non the less, I feel they work great and are worth saving your battery. Bob #6738
                  Last edited by BigLakeBob; 09-28-2013, 08:45 AM. Reason: added last sentence
                  Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Folks,

It should be noted that waiting an extra season for a battery to fail risks an expensive generator armature.

Its not worth it.

....Cotten
                    AMCA #776
                    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Chargers for car batteries typically have too much output current for bike use. I use a Radio Shack automatic charger designed for lead/acid lantern batteries. Great for 6V cycle batteries, too. It is their Cat. No. 23-389. Rated 500mA, it has a fast charge that automatically tapers to a float charge, with red/green LEDs to indicate state of charge. If you use a charger designed for cars, put a reliable ammeter in series and avoid pushing more than about 1.5A through the battery or you can cook it. I have used a dimmer control with an ordinary automotive charger to limit the charging current to just under 1A.

Comment

Working...
                      X