help please 6v generator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help please 6v generator

I sure could use some help, I'm stumped and fast running out of time.
    I'm trying hard for my 47EL to make its first appearance at Wauseon. It's not cooperating.
    I've gone through two relays, two coils, a battery & battery charger.
    At this point it runs smoothly with all new, sealed acid battery, Tedd's coil & electronic relay. The generator is the suspect.
    The Gen idiot light is not lighting, this is supposed to be the electronic relay that allows it to light.
    It's a 6v system. The battery reads 6.7 and 5.9 when running.
    When running, with the black probe on the negative side of battery and the red probe on the switch side of the generator with green wire removed, the tester fluctuates between 40. ~ 47..
    Am I crazy or shouldn't it read 6. or slightly more ?
    40. is crazy high, right? What would make a 32E 6v generator put out that much?

I've tested all the wiring & double checked routing, its all by the book.
    The generator was rebuilt by a highly regarded person, who I think is now retired.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Bob
    Bob

Have a read of the post 2 down from yours;
    "Problem with new Solid State (Harper) regulator on GDE Autolite generator on 439 Ind"
    There's some info in there about digital multi meters and electronic relays not getting along so well.

Comment

Thanks Peter, I'll take a look.
      Bob

Comment

The battery acts as the voltage regulator in that system. A generator will put out very high voltage if unregulated. The problem is either your relay or the wiring in general is incorrect. The battery is not connecting to the generator.
        Mark Masa
        Mark Masa
        www.linkcycles.com

Comment

if at a 6V 3brush system the voltage gets higher as about 8V it's always a problem of the battery, because the battery is the buffer in the system which 'regulates' the voltage. The relay is only a switch which cutout the generator from battery if the generaor voltage is under the voltage of the battery. If you generator is going to a high voltage it's a sign that the generator works.
          In the last years i had a lot of customers which the same problems and at the end it was mostly the battery even if new. The quality of the batteries today is often bad because the lead plates are made in Asia or India and have not the same chemical cleanliness as the old American or German batteries. It's enough that only one cell has not the full capacity.
          Try to use another battery maybe from a buddy with a correct working 6V system.
          Martin Brill

www.brillantparts.com

Comment

Thanks everyone, a friend is coming over soon with a quality analog meter. Hopefully we can get to the bottom of this.
            Thanks again...
            Bob

Comment

Working...
            X