Wiring - 1947 Knucklehead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring - 1947 Knucklehead

I am tweaking the wiring on my 1947 FL. I have many photos of very nice AMCA bikes - but many show differences in the wiring layouts. I want to get it right once and for all.

Therefore, does anyone have photos of the correct, factory-supplied wire routing in the oil tank area beneath the seat and also where the wires emerge from the rear of the gas tank? I'm particularly curious as to how the battery positive wire runs from the frame stud on the right, across the seat post tube to the positive battery terminal. Also how the green wire from the oil pressure switch that runs outside of the wire loom should run and what it looks like in the installed position.

Thanks..
    Bill Pedalino
    Huntington, New York
    AMCA 6755

Bill,

I dug around in Matt Olsen's blog archives because I remembered him posting 47 wiring pics.
    Hopefully I can copy & paste the links here.

http://www.oldbikesinsd.blogspot.com...g-details.html

He also took several pics of an original '46 ( I think ), but I can't seem to locate them. I'll keep looking.
    I could take photos of my 47EL but I can't say if they are routed correctly or not. My bike has never been judged.

Bob
    Bob

Comment

Thanks Bob. I'm not sure that mine is exactly correct either, so it's time to do a little research...
      Bill Pedalino
      Huntington, New York
      AMCA 6755

Comment

1947 Knucklehead 127.jpg1947 Knucklehead 130.jpg1947 Knucklehead 067.jpg
        These are from my original 47 as found before I cleaned the dust off. maybe they will help ?

Comment

Thanks Guys...
          Can you tell me where the front loom from the handlebars/horn pass to the dash plate. My understanding is that it passes in between the two frame down-tubes, but I'm not sure on which side of the neck they run.
          Thanks Again!
          Bill Pedalino
          Huntington, New York
          AMCA 6755

Comment

1947 Knucklehead 128.jpg
            I think you can see it in this pic.

Comment

Have a look at pg 427 of Palmer's book, there are 2 47 photos.
              VPH-D

Comment

Perfect 55tmm !! that's what I needed to know! Obviously the loom approached the dash plate from the right side. Your harness certainly is original (although apparently owner-maintained in the seat area over the years). Even the electrical friction beneath the gas tanks tape is still in place !!

Yes, VPH, I have been looking at Palmer p.427. But even with a magnifying glass I couldn't ascertain he level of detail that I needed. 55tmm cleared that up.

Thanks to you both...
                Bill Pedalino
                Huntington, New York
                AMCA 6755

Comment

1947 Knucklehead 399[2].jpg
                  Bill, this is it back on the road after sitting for 50 years

Comment

That would make MY heart go pitty-pat I'll tell you what!
                    Rich
                    Rich Inmate #7084

Comment

That is a lovely machine! I would just about kill to find those fender emblems!
                      Bill Pedalino
                      Huntington, New York
                      AMCA 6755

Comment

Working...
                      X