Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problem with new Solid State (Harper) regulator on GDE Autolite generator on 439 Ind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with new Solid State (Harper) regulator on GDE Autolite generator on 439 Ind

Hi,

I've sent Gene Harper two emails, but he might be in the country fighting forest fires so I thought I'd post the problem here in case someone else has seen it.

I installed Gene's solid state regulator on my Indian 439 with distributor ignition. I've just removed the gen and double checked all the wiring, even rung them out to confirm the A and F wires. I motored the generator to assure it was properly polarized. I put a DMM across the generator leads with no regulator in place, spun the gen shaft CCW and got postive voltage on the DMM.

Here's the problem:

With the regulator installed, Gene recommends testing the operation by putting a DMM across the battery terminals and running the engine. I did that. I measure about 6.54VDC with the engine off. With the engine running and with and without lights on, I see + amps on my dash mounted ammeter, but the display on my DMM is going nuts. Numbers are all over the place. That is on a cheapo, Harbor Freight DMM. I put my good DMM on the battery and rather than a continuously changine display, it goes off scale, even when set on 1000 VDC. So, something is not right here and I have no idea if it is my generator or Gene Murphy's Law is in play and Gene'w new regulator was faulty from the start.

Has anyone seen this? Anyone have an idea what the problem might be?

My next thought if I don't hear from someone here or from Gene is to bring the generator to my local auto electric shop and have them test it. Although I suspect it is fine since it motored smoothly (did not spin very fast) and generates when spun by hand.

Thanks and regards,
    Rob
    Regards,
    Rob Sigond
    AMCA # 1811

Don't know about distributor ,but my mag bike requires me to use an analog meter as digital goes nuts.

Comment

If your seeing + amps on your dash ammeter then I would think your good to go. Does the amps vary with the lights on or off? It shouldn't vary with Gene's regulator. Ride it for 30 minutes and take a battery voltage test with the bike off. Voltage should remain 6.25 to 7.

Comment

Originally posted by tomfiii View Post
        Don't know about distributor ,but my mag bike requires me to use an analog meter as digital goes nuts.
        Really. That might explain it. I think I still have a Simpson that works. I have a few of them, but think they all died and getting them repaired is stupidly expensive now. But I will find an analog meter somewhere and do the check again.

This explains why the ammeter says things are working.

Thanks very much!

regards,
        Rob
        Regards,
        Rob Sigond
        AMCA # 1811

Comment

Gene was on a road run and just got back to me. He confirmed the need to use an analog meter. The problem is caused by RFI from the system. He said he learned about this the same way I did when he checked one of his bikes and saw his meters go crazy.

regards,
          Rob
          Regards,
          Rob Sigond
          AMCA # 1811

Comment

Working...
          X