32E Generator Armature

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 32E Generator Armature

I've decided to rebuild my 32E gen. myself. It looks like the commutator has been turned down beyond limits. What are my options for a new Armature? Are the aftermarket ones any good? Can you rewind the old Armature and put on a new commutator? and is that even cost effective?
    AMCA 26656

47EL
    47WL

Over here we can get armatures and field coils that are made in Holland,that seem to work fine.Over your side of the pond,I'd go foe one of these.

http://www.flatlandmotorcyclecompany...w.asp?sku=4156

Kurt stands by his parts,in fact he started out by looking for better parts for his own bikes,than those that were available in the repop market.
    If you're replacing the brushes,I'd go for NOS ones,there's plenty out there.
    Have you got a figure for the minimum diameter of the commutator,or is it just the look of it you're going on?
    With a new armature with a good running surface,you can use the 1946 type oil seal instead of the felt one.
    I don't think rebuilding your old armature is a realistic option to be honest.

Comment

Dave, I have no doc. on commutator specs. This is only word of mouth. Virgin commutators are around 1.310 or larger. then turned down to 1.250 when installed. Not sure how far you can turn them down to clean up. But mine is 1.185

I've found 2 NOS armatures. one for this build, and one for future and I might buy more because I'm a hoarder . The field coils test out perfect and the wires look good so I will be using them as I've heard it can be a PITA to replace them and get the clearance set up. The bearings and NOS brushes and other bits I sourced from toms NOS parts.

I'm not going to give up on the old armature, but will try to find a resource to rewind it in the future.
      AMCA 26656

47EL
      47WL

Comment

Getting the armature rewound is not a big deal. In the past I've used The Moir Company in maine: http://www.moirco.com/index.html

Their prices are very reasonable and they do good work. They can replace the commutator if needed. One word of advice: Before you send an armature to anyone to rewind, be sure to take careful measurments from shoulder to shoulder on the shaft and remove any and all spacers, sleeves, slingers etc. that can come off. In order to rewind the armature, they will remove all these parts and you probably won't get them back.

Gene Harper

Comment

Thanks Gene!

shoulder to should on the shaft.....is that for the diameter of the shaft for the commutator bore?
          AMCA 26656

47EL
          47WL

Comment

Tom,it's good you've found NOS armatures,I don't know of any in Europe that are for sale.
            Are they stamped like this one?

http://www.antiquemotorcycle.org/bbo...ature-Stamping

Comment

These dimensions )shoulder to shoulder, or end to end) are needed to get the end play set up properly when you put all back together again.

Comment

Working...
              X