cylinder hones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cylinder hones

I need to hone some cylinders to fit next oversize,std to .005.
    I usually send out cylinder and valve work but I am thinking of buying a Lisle 1500 ,or something similar such as some Mac,Amcos I have seen on ebay.
    Any feedback on ridged hones,especially the Lisle would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Tom

I use a Sunnen. Very similar to the Lisle. Works great.

Comment

Originally posted by larry View Post
      Are you talking about the hones you drive with a drill motor? If so, what kind of lubricant do you use, and is there anything special you need to be aware of?
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

Not familiar with the Lisle,..

But the AN Series Sunnen is the "cadillac" honing head, and I have used it with a drill as well.
        I believe "Delapena" is a similar design, and Goodson carries generic stones.

I use the Sunnen lube.

.....Cotten
        Attached Files
        AMCA #776
        Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Coarse stones are used dry, fine can be used dry or with lube. Follow the instructions that come with the tool. The system is fairly idiot proof.

Comment

Coarse stones are used dry, fine can be used dry or with lube. Follow the instructions that come with the tool. The system is fairly idiot proof.
            Thanks for all the replies.
            I am familiar with Sunnen products but never see anything in the price range I am looking for and cant justify the usual premium price for my limited use.
            Any opinions on the lisle medim grit280 as a finish stone or would the fine stones 500 be better for finishing for cast iron rings?
            Thanks
            Tom

Comment

Tom!

Did you price the Delapena alternatives of similar design: http://delapenausa.com/honing/vertical-tooling-2/
              Please remember you only need the stone holder head itself, and the rest you can fudge.

I got my Sunnen at a local auction; Sadly, there aren't that many auto machine shops left to go out of business.

....Cotten
              AMCA #776
              Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
                Tom!

Did you price the Delapena alternatives of similar design: http://delapenausa.com/honing/vertical-tooling-2/
                Please remember you only need the stone holder head itself, and the rest you can fudge.

I got my Sunnen at a local auction; Sadly, there aren't that many auto machine shops left to go out of business.

....Cotten
                Thanks Tom.I looked at the link and didn't see anything that looked like it would be in my price range.
                Unless something pops up on ebay I will most likely get the Lisle.
                Some interesting info on Hasting site for cylinder finishing.
                Thanks again
                Tom

Comment

Working...
                X