No announcement yet.

Fuel Shut-off Valve Alignment Tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's an alternative to use on tanks already mounted. I wrote this up for someone last year...I call it The Caveman Way...please read disclaimers...
    There is no tapping with hammers involved...also Magneto Zoo makes a tool

http://knucklebuster1939.blogspot.co...ick-asked.html

Comment

My tool was NOS HD wrapped in cosmoline when I got it over twenty five years ago. There were no instructions included. I have used it successfully at least 50 times and have not hit it with a hammer. I assume the hammering was suggested to set spacing on a badly damaged tank. If anyone has factory instructions they could copy and post here I would love to see them. Thanks, Kyle
      Kyle Oanes AMCA # 3046

Comment

Kyle,
        The instructions are in the service manuals.
        http://www.hydra-glide.com/phpBB3/vi...p?f=67&t=11063
        Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Hollywood!

Whatever works is just fine!

The Factory was faced with solving a problem for its dealer network service people, who may or may not have shared your skills of observation and patience.
          They needed something even down-and-dirtier, as 'time-is-money'.

They spent a lot of effort to make a tool to make it mindless.
          Unfortunately, steel has its own rules.

Bending steel is like walking through a forest.
          Although you can walk half-way to the other side over and over, you still will never reach the other side.

....Cotten
          AMCA #776
          Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Well, I received the tool from Ted and it looks very nice. The machine work is clean and it fits into the tank thread very nicely. I do notice that when you screw the rod all the way up, it is quite wobbly around the inside at the top fitting as you bottom the lower collar and you must 'finesse' the tool while seating the bottom collar against the gasket surface to get a true reading. Because I don't have a factory tool I can't be sure, but I think it's just the basic design of the tool. I do find that if I turn the tank upside down and seat the collar several time by turning it back and forth with my fingertips and then snugging it , I get a fairly consistent reading on top, as it shows that it's off at the same location.

However, I'm finding that getting it straight is quite another thing as the lower fitting doesn't move easily. Because I was working alone, I mounted the tank on a spare frame thinking it would be easier to pull things around using the frame as an anchor, but this didn't work as there's not working enough room for the tool with the sliding cross bar. I tried bending it on my bench, but again, I was working alone and it was cumbersome so I probably needed more force than I was able to apply. Therefore, it looks like I'll have to enlist the help of a friend to hold the tank on the bench while I attempt to pull the tool around to align the bottom fitting. Thus far, I've avoided any 'impact' work upon the tool and the paint remains intact. However, I hope the fitting bends more easily than it appears right now. Any easier suggestions?
            Last edited by billpedalino; 01-11-2014, 10:20 AM.
            Bill Pedalino
            Huntington, New York
            AMCA 6755

Comment

It is easiest done by following the instructions in the H-D Service manual.
              Be sure to visit;
              http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
              Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
              Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Bob!

The early manual shows a picture, but just says the instructions come with the tool. The late manual, however, has no pic, but instructions on page 3F-26.

Don't forget to use your non-sparking beryllium hammer,

....Cotten
                AMCA #776
                Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

With a little assistance (an 'anchorman'), I tweaked the bugger into alignment without any paint damage whatsoever, even without the assistance of my 'non-sparking beryllium hammer..... The rod now threads and slides smoothly and all is well with the world. Thanks to all for your pointers!
                  Bill Pedalino
                  Huntington, New York
                  AMCA 6755

Comment

Working...
                  X