Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member from CT

Hello, my name is Bruce.
    Antique bikes have always drawn me in. I’m a nostalgia junky and for things with a distinct mechanical character. I’ve never been without a running, registered and insured motorcycle since 1979. Back then there were plenty of older motorcycles my friends riding regularly. After having owned a modified Shovelhead way back in the 80’s, I was offered an unmolested stock shovel last year that had been sitting since 2009, forgotten. More to the story. I have paperwork back to 1979 on it too. It is now back in the road as a period correct resto-rebuild, maybe period modified in AMCA speak. It’s a 1976 FXE with an 1979 1/2 FLH engine & trans. Completely rebuilt from the bare frame (kept original frame paint as is). Except for the numbers mismatch it’s mostly original. The bags are handmade by the late Kaiser, period originals. I have two much newer HD’s but this shovel is the most satisfying to ride. It’s my backroads hauler.
    I’m here to learn and enjoy the old iron.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.

Welcome from CT. Smitty here . Nice looking shovel ya got there.

Comment

Welcome Bruce!!!!

Nice looking shovel.

Consider checking out your local chapter:
      #1 Yankee Chapter - Hartford
      Hartford, CT 06103
      Contact
      Maine Smith
      President
      (203) 675-4894
      oldbmws@yahoo.com
      More Info
      Web Site: www.yankeechapter.org

Comment

Hi Bruce, sorry you weren't able to make the trip to Greenfield. This place is where the cool kids hang out. (At least that's what the sign said near the judging area, lol)
        AMCA #41287
        1971 Sprint SS350 project
        1982 FXR - AMCA 98.5 point restoration
        1979 FXS 1200 never done playing
        1998 Dyna Convertible - 100% Original
        96" Evo Softail self built chopper
        2012 103" Road King "per diem"
        plus 13 other bikes over the years...

Comment

Hey joe fxs fxr,
          I did almost get there, I posted what happened in the Harley-Davidson Forums Classic/Shovelhead under the AMCA meet thread. I started it prior to the meet, expecting to be there. You probably have seen it. My intent was socializing, bike ogling and pic taking as I wasn’t entering mine. It’s something I may think about but need to dig into the rules.
          At least my exhaust flange bolt kit issue was small and easy to bandaid. Because of the unforeseen - Time just wasn’t our friend that day.

Shovelhead - AMCA Meet Greenfield Ma - anyone going? - Well, it moved from next door (to me) in Terryville CT as ya all know. For me it is now actually a nice country ride through central Massachusetts. Before, it was so close that Id just get the bike really warmed up as we arrived. Though its 75 miles one way from...

Comment

Yes, I did see that. I go by Joe12RK over there, it was the bike I was riding when I joined the Touring section. I had delays too, didn't arrive until about 4:00 or so.
            AMCA #41287
            1971 Sprint SS350 project
            1982 FXR - AMCA 98.5 point restoration
            1979 FXS 1200 never done playing
            1998 Dyna Convertible - 100% Original
            96" Evo Softail self built chopper
            2012 103" Road King "per diem"
            plus 13 other bikes over the years...

Comment

Welcome Bruce~Good looking Shovel.

*M.A.D.*

Comment

CAAC961A-41A9-46CC-80AA-DC0CC7FE9D6E.jpegAbove: the day we took it home on a home made trailer. Thanks for all the welcomes and comments. I’m looking forward to seeing the members motorcycles and learning how they came to own them. I had considered getting into something classic that I was familiar with. This FXE fell into my lap and I had almost passed on it. Two days after first looking at it on Saturday 6/14/21 and me still undecided, the widow calls and tells me she has to have it OUT of the stone garage in 2 days. I told her she’d get more $’s from somebody else but she didn’t want any traffic, strangers at her home. I told her I intend on riding it and enjoying it. She said that would be what her late husband would have wanted. The couple times I told people what I paid, $1,000 - I was met with disbelief. It sat over 12 years due to his medical issues. They put only 2,000 miles in it. I have paperwork to 1979 showing the previous sales and owners. In 1979 it conveyed as a rolling chassis and later had the ‘78 1/2 FLH 80” installed by the guy who sold it in 1999 to the party I purchase it from. Coincidently the late owner and I have the same first name though he was called by his middle name, Jesse. My brother Jason was named for our great grandfather, Jessie or Zessie as it was pronounced in Ukraine.
                Thanks all again

Comment

Working...
                X