New member in Florida

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member in Florida

Hi, new member Steve from Florida here. I have been attending AMC meets since the 1970s as a member in the Colonial chapter in NJ and just recently re-upped my membership. Presently own an unrestored 1948 Harley UL along with a couple of more modern rides.

Steve Welcome back! Any pictures of that 48?

Comment

Welcome to the AMCA Forum, and Florida, Steve. I live in Sarasota, and have a '48FL. However, my '48 is currently in North Georgia but I'm leaving Sunday morning with a trailer to bring it back home. Beautiful country in Georgia but very hilly, and mountainous, so more suited to a modern bike with good suspension, and brakes which is on the priority list. The Big Twin '48 SV is a unique, and interesting motorcycle. As Paul said above, love to see a few pictures of it.
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

Greeting's Steve.

*M.A.D.*

Comment

welcome, and yes, would like to see pictures
          AMCA #41287
          1971 Sprint SS350 project
          1982 FXR - AMCA 98.5 point restoration
          1979 FXS 1200 never done playing
          1998 Dyna Convertible - 100% Original
          96" Evo Softail self built chopper
          2012 103" Road King "per diem"
          plus 13 other bikes over the years...

Comment

Hi, the UL hasn't been run in years so I am presently trying to get it to start and run reliably. Pictures will be shown in the near future.

Comment

I thought I would do a follow up on my trip to Georgia to get my '48. I got it loaded on my trailer and hit I-75 at 1:30 a.m. yesterday. Everything was going great through Atlanta, and Macon, and the trailer handled beautifully until about 10 miles from Lake City, Fl when a trailer tire blew out. I was doing about 75 mph using the cruise control when the tire went to pieces. Fortunately, there were no cars near me and I was able to get over to the shoulder of the highway. I still can't believe the trailer didn't jack-knife at that speed. So, kneeling by the highway, changing a tire, and enjoying the gentle breezes from passing semi trucks, we got the job done. As I pulled back on to I-75 and got up to speed, I didn't feel comfortable driving another 250 miles on the primary tires without a spare. I got off at the Lake City exit, went about 2 miles and the tire started losing air. Fortunately, there as a Tractor Supply store on that exit, and they had tires mounted on rims and the lug hole diameter matched my hubs. That was pure luck, and kismet so thank God for Tractor Supply, good drivers around me, and a well built trailer. I think we all need to be aware of our tire quality, tire pressure, running gear, and general safety of our bikes, and trailers. . . Just something to think about, and something else to worry about in 2022

bvillejune1.jpgbvillejune2.jpg
              Last edited by exeric; 06-12-2022, 05:06 PM.
              Eric Smith
              AMCA #886

Comment

You must lead a charming life Eric~~that tire is mincemeat! Good looking '48 by the way.

My advise for what it's worth is: I always cover the tires if left outside for any length, and i jack stand the trailer up so it never sits on the ground. This is the correct side view to secure a motorcycle on a trailer. /\ or V That makes 2 straps to a side, but i always put a larger insurance strap somewhere in the middle. Having a quality tire chock mounted is the best way to go. This one from Harbor Freight ($54) works great since it automatically adapts to the front wheel dimensions.
                fullsizeoutput_1f7b.jpeg

*M.A.D.*
                Last edited by JoJo357; 06-13-2022, 01:58 AM.

Comment

Wow! Always an adventure! Good to hear everything worked out well without injury or damage. Thanks for the tie down tips JoJo!
                  BEAUTIFUL Pan!!!!!

Comment

Beautiful Pan there Eric! Glad you and the bike made it home OK. Still working on the UL when I get the time. I can get it to start after a good few kicks and it will idle OK but then suddenly just stop. I suspect maybe a problem with the carb but maybe a manifold leak? Wish I had the equipment to check the manifold but in the meantime I will drop the carb bowl and see if there is an obvious problem.

Comment

Thanks for the comments. Steve. If I can help you in any way, let me know but carburetors are way out of my field of knowledge. Cotten is the MAN for that.
                      Eric Smith
                      AMCA #886

Comment

welcome aboard,nice pan

Comment

Sorry for the delay in posting photo; still trying to get bike to start and run consistently. Photo is from the barn where the UL "hibernated" for the past 9 years.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                          This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

sw48, Wonderful machine. just needs a little love and ridden, a lot.
                            DrSprocket

Comment

Hi Steve. ULs are dead simple so getting it to behave right should be a fairly short trip. I have one I've been riding for 45 years and it is the most consistent bike I ever had. That one of yours is a gem. Good luck with it and ride the snot out of it!
                              Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Working...
                              X