New member here in need of much advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member here in need of much advice

Hello all. I recently came into possession of a 46FL. It was rescued from a garage where it has been sitting for 40 years. I am new to vintage Harley Davidsons so I need help deciding how, how much, who, and where to get this piece of history running again. My first step I think would be to evaluate the bike and make sure it is a good candidate for a running restoration. Where do I start?
    Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you, Jim
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 5 photos.

Welcome Jim!

The best place to get it running again is in your own garage.

"Restoration" is a dirty word with a gem like that;

Please start first with inspection, such as chains, wheels, and brakes, flushing the tanks and transmission, troubleshoot all wiring, but save the carb and manifold for last.

.....Cotten
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Welcome, What a great find. Save every nut and bolt that you take off. Get her running and enjoy.

Comment

Jim;
        Welcome. Beautiful bike. Take LOTS of pictures and a dedicated binder or two with copious notes.
        I see a NY plate are you in NY? I'll make the suggestion to join your local chapter.
        I am in CNY. Nice bike. Also check the AMCA Library.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I am in western NY. The bike is all original. I plan on keeping the appearance with all its age an patina. Perhaps I should move this thread to the Knucklehead forum. So many questions.

Comment

Originally posted by JimGonz24 View Post
            Hello all. I recently came into possession of a 46FL. It was rescued from a garage where it has been sitting for 40 years. I am new to vintage Harley Davidsons so I need help deciding how, how much, who, and where to get this piece of history running again. My first step I think would be to evaluate the bike and make sure it is a good candidate for a running restoration. Where do I start?
            Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you, Jim
            Welcome to the group. My opinion is that that the bike should never be restored. It needs to survive as it is with maybe a mechanical restoration on the drive train. People would give there you know what to have the patina your bike has.

Jerry

Comment

Hi Jim, welcome to the forum. What a find! I love the fact that you’re going to keep it as is. I think you’ll find much enjoyment riding and preserving it. What a find!

Jim

Comment

Welcome to the forum Jim, beautiful bike. Be sure and look carefully for the headlight and spotlights for it, that would be a great bonus. My guess is the headlight is painted to match like the oil tank.
                Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by Rubone View Post
                  Welcome to the forum Jim, beautiful bike. Be sure and look carefully for the headlight and spotlights for it, that would be a great bonus. My guess is the headlight is painted to match like the oil tank.
                  The bike was buried in a family members garage. I spent this past year cleaning up the property and I knew it was in there. It took three months to clean out just the garage. Deep under the piles of garbage and raccoon deposits I did find the headlights. I also found the leather saddlebags and the windshield. I also found a few NOS parts including a new kick start lever/pedal. The only thing missing is the toolbox and that was never on bike.

Comment

Wow! You hit the jackpot, Jim. You've made the right decision to leave it alone, and do the necessary mechanical work. Again, congratulations, ya' lucky stiff
                    Eric Smith
                    AMCA #886

Comment

"I am in western NY."

OK here is another shameless plug for the local chapters:

#83 Riveter Chapter
                      55 BANNER AVE
                      LANCASTER, NY , NY 14086
                      Contact
                      Karan Andrea
                      Chapter President
                      716-445-5487
                      Atomicflh@gmail.com
                      More Info
                      Web Site: www.chixon66.com

#17 Lake Erie Chapter
                      Cleveland, OH 44101
                      Contact
                      Billy Balcer
                      President
                      billy@strangebirdmfg.com
                      More Info
                      Web Site: www.LakeErieAMCA.org

Or come to:

#2 Empire Chapter
                      Syracuse, NY 13215
                      Contact
                      Al Sorensen
                      President
                      (315) 382-6711
                      Alsindian@twcny.rr.com
                      More Info
                      Web Site: https://www.empirechapter.com/

Comment

I live just down the street from Banner Avenue.

Comment

Good score Jim & welcome.

*M.A.D.*

Comment

Working...
                          X