Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Never to old to learn.

Greetings and I hope you all are well.
    I have wanted to join this site for some time now but not having a bike old enough to qualify as "antique" had kept me from doing so.I still don't have an antique but should I live long enough, the bike I now have will be an antique hopefully before I'm just a memory.

I've been an avid rider since I was barely old enough tie my own shoes and it has been a passion of mine pretty much my entire life. Every time I see a bike model for sale that I've owned over the years, I want to buy it.
    I am a fan of all makes and have owned and ridden many but my primary focus has always been H-D.
    I currently ride a 1993 Harley-Davidson FXSTS. It is my second springer and if I live long enough and can swing it financially, I really would love to own and ride one of the bikes that the newer springers were built to emulate, preferably a Flathead.

Although I went to school for and worked as a mechanic in a Harley Dealership many years ago, due to age and injuries, I no longer have the dexterity nor the funds to do a restoration and am really only capable of doing only minor maintenance that doesn't require getting on the ground. I realize a lift in the garage would be a great addition but space is limited.
    For those reasons I see my future as a pretty much riding one without the intimate interaction with the machine that I enjoyed for so many years.

Thanks for having me and I look forward to being a student of and hopefully at some point, a contributing member of this fascinating facet of motorcycling.

HH Welcome!!! Passion for old bikes; and keeping old machines running is what it's about. Hope you are willing to share some of that mechanics knowledge you have. Where abouts do you live?

Comment

Originally posted by PaulCDF View Post
      HH Welcome!!! Passion for old bikes; and keeping old machines running is what it's about. Hope you are willing to share some of that mechanics knowledge you have. Where abouts do you live?
      Thanks Paul. I said I was a mechanic, I didn't say I was a good one though.
      I currently live in NW Arkansas.

Comment

Originally posted by HHRIDER View Post

Thanks Paul. I said I was a mechanic, I didn't say I was a good one though.
        I currently live in NW Arkansas.
        Welcome, I also worked a dealership in a previous life. But I've messed with old bikes since high school and have never been away from them. Love your area, it is quite beautiful and a fun change from our high desert out here. My wife and I have ridden through there various times.
        Robbie
        Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Welcome, and maybe you can swing an antique Harley, just not a 100 year old one, lol. Check this out, it's not mine and I don't know anything about it:

https://yupyi.com/details.php?id=18008279

undefined-1599762483-73-e.jpg
          AMCA #41287
          1971 Sprint SS350 project
          1982 FXR - AMCA 98.5 point restoration
          1979 FXS 1200 never done playing
          1998 Dyna Convertible - 100% Original
          96" Evo Softail self built chopper
          2012 103" Road King "per diem"
          plus 13 other bikes over the years...

Comment

I mean, a '93 is legally an antique in most places and AMCA-eligible in six years...

Comment

That's what I was referring to in my original post when I said, "should I live long enough".
              Last edited by HHRIDER; 12-24-2021, 09:42 AM.

Comment

I sent an inquiry on this one offering to trade my Evo.
                I'm curious to see what they say. It is a dealer.
                I realize the bike is a hodgepodge but if it's in decent mechanical condition I think it would work for me.
                You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

I'll bet a dealer would rather have a newer bike like yours on the showroom than that flatty because it's easier to sell to the average rider. Should work in your favor.

Someone on another forum asked about this same bike, maybe it's you? Here's the best response there, especially the last sentence:

"it to me is a just finished for sale machine — lots of questions — how it runs and drives is a big one - dealers are not friendly about riding old stuff because then they have to deal with the oil on the floor it now does not have

could it be a belt drive sure is it better - to me yes for sure its cleaner

the seat pogo is a way better deal then the crotch vibrator with springs - it looks as if holes and welding made that douche rocket **** happen - look close at that take 1000 at least off for that - look right at him and say they drilled holes in a 75 year old bikes frame really - what else did Einstein do

the carb works some guys like them some dont - prefer the linkert first developed in the 20s = yea so now you need a scooter carb Y

things like the correct speedo - tail light 350 - to me the springer is a tedd cycle 2500 OEM - not having original bars and the fittings is another 600 - seat pogo and seat 700 on the re pop side

right about 6 foot you no longer fit on that 45 WL to ride it for 45 min or so and it becomes very uncomfortable i am 6-3 i dont like test riding them my feet dont fit in the spot for them"

Good luck!
                  Last edited by joe fxs fxr; 12-24-2021, 03:26 PM.
                  AMCA #41287
                  1971 Sprint SS350 project
                  1982 FXR - AMCA 98.5 point restoration
                  1979 FXS 1200 never done playing
                  1998 Dyna Convertible - 100% Original
                  96" Evo Softail self built chopper
                  2012 103" Road King "per diem"
                  plus 13 other bikes over the years...

Comment

I agree Joe regarding selling a late model pretty much stock bike should be easier for a dealer than a butchered up classic.
                    Yes that was me on the other forum.
                    I am over 6". I have sat on a Servicar and found it to feel fine but it did have a stock pogo tractor seat on it. I've never sat on a WL however.
                    I would think the WL and Servicar would be the same from the seat forward but of course, I could be wrong, it certainly wouldn't be the first time.

Comment

Working...
                    X