Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Returning Member

Hello all,

I was a member in the late 80's owning an Indian model 249 Scout and a number of British bikes then and now. at that time I was a member of the Southern California chapter. There were many great members who were true pioneers. sadly, many have passed away. I just recently bought the '46 chief pictured and am enjoying it very much. I am the director of education at the Motorcycle Mechanics Institute in Phoenix Arizona. I've been with the school for 28 years. On January 9th, the Phoenix Roadrunner AMCA chapter will be holding a show and swap here. I hope this will be a great turnout as previous ones have been.

Thanks all,
    Jim
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Welcome back Jim, very nice Chief!
    Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Nice Chief, one of my favorite years. I recently acquired a factory sales brochure for the '46 models. But no, I do not own a '46 Chief. Welcome back to the AMCA.
      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Welcome Home Jim!!!!!

Sweet Chief.
        Do you still have the 249 Scout or any of the British bikes?
        Any pictures

Comment

I don't have the 249 any longer, sold it many years ago. Have a number of British bikes though. I'll see what pictures I can come up with.
          Attached Files

Comment

Triumphs, Nortons and Tigers Oh My!!!!!
            Thanks very nice.

Comment

Many Indian dealers were also Brit bike dealers post war with Norton being a big one. By the early '50s they were selling Vincents as well as many other when Indian Sales Corp was bought by the Brits. So you have merely regressed in the timeline....
              Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Howdee~ Welcome back Jim. Beautiful Chief there.

*M.A.D.*

Comment

Originally posted by Rubone View Post
                  Many Indian dealers were also Brit bike dealers post war with Norton being a big one. By the early '50s they were selling Vincents as well as many other when Indian Sales Corp was bought by the Brits. So you have merely regressed in the timeline....
                  Yes, it's interesting just how many brands were imported and distributed. Also as interesting how many motorcycles wore the Indian badge over the years. Funny, it seems like lately a number of badged Royal Enfields have surfaced.

Thanks,

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Rubone View Post
                    And some Indian dealerships were selling Laverda & Ducati along with the British Motorcycles. Anything to keep a~float with the advent popularity of the Japanese Big Four. I remember going into Earl Buck's after he took on the Italian line-up. It definitely changed your opinion with the choice of six or so Brand spankin' new Motorcycles Manufactures, and their complete yearly line~up under one roof! Not even including the used trade~in's.

https://youtu.be/gHbwB8BJ42g

*M.A.D.*

Comment

In Orlando, Fl., the Indian dealer was Schmidt. They also offered Triumph, and BMW, and a car dealership across the street that sold Austin, Austin-Healy, Triumph, and M-G. They're still in business, going strong, selling multiple Japanese, and Euro brands. My friend Charlie bought the last Indian Schmidt sold which was a 1942 Sport Scout. It was a bike old man Schmidt had since it was new, and sold some time in the early 1970s. Putting that in perspective, that's like a dealer in 2021, selling a well used 1991 Honda.

Oh yeah, Welcome back, Jim. That is a beautiful '46 Chief. You can't beat Indian Red.
                      Eric Smith
                      AMCA #886

Comment

Thank you all so much for the warm welcome, kind words and great stories.

Jim

Comment

Working...
                        X