hello from a new SoCal member / '50 Harley WL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hello from a new SoCal member / '50 Harley WL

Hello everyone! Just wanted to introduce myself, I’m a rider & vintage car photographer / enthusiast in the San Fernando Valley and recently came into a beautiful WL.

I have some general experience with old engines and have a modern Harley (’12 Sportster), but am fully green to vintage riding and maintenance. I look forward to the wisdom of the group and hope ( / need) to connect with local riders for resources and meet ups here in the Valley!

A few photos of the new WL:
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 4 photos.

Looks like a fl!

Comment

Welcome to the AMCA. Sadly it is doubtful there is anything that is 1950 on that machine. And if the title says it is a WL you have a problem. Hope it is just a typo on your end..
      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Welcome to the forum. On your left crankcase does the area around the timing plug look like the example below which is bordered in blue? And is there anything stamped above the timing plug and/or to its R-H side? Thanks.
        Eric

Comment

Welcome to the club! You should contact the president's of either of the SoCal Chapters. Not sure which is closer to you, but I'm sure one of them can help. I've talked to Craig Taylor before and he was helpful. Good Luck!

So Cal chapters.jpg
          Eric Olson
          Membership #18488

Comment

Originally posted by EricOlson View Post
            Welcome to the club! You should contact the president's of either of the SoCal Chapters. Not sure which is closer to you, but I'm sure one of them can help. I've talked to Craig Taylor before and he was helpful. Good Luck!

So Cal chapters.jpg
            Thank you very much!

Comment

Welcome. Nice Bike.

Comment

Welcome, bRadatz!

Looks like enormous fun. Until you try to get a plate.

(In Illinois, you might get charged with a felony, and the machine forbidden forever after.)

But if your VIN is un-altered, there is still good hope...

....Cotten
                Last edited by T. Cotten; 09-13-2021, 03:28 PM.
                AMCA #776
                Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

If your bike is legal in California; enjoy it. There are always things that are not correct on vintage bikes but that is part of the process of learning, hunting, gathering parts, and enjoying the old motorcycle hobby. The AMCA is as good as it gets for learning about vintage motorcycles. I know many people haunt fakebook for motorcycle lore, but way too snarky, and harsh from what I've seen. You'll get very good information here, in addition to some negativity, but everyone means well in their own way, and will give you the benefit of their hard earned knowledge. Stick with the AMCA forum and be prepared to learn some unexpected, but more often golden knowledge that will save you tons of wasted money, and wasted time.
                  Eric Smith
                  AMCA #886

Comment

News Flash... according to some of my friends in the SoCal Chapter, which I'm a member, about a hundred miles from "the boys", I was told The Los Angeles Chapter is working on merging with the SoCal Chapter. Craig Taylor has moved to Illinois (?) to be with his family and grandkids. Consolidation of the Chapters is on going.

C2K

Comment

Originally posted by Speeding Big Twin View Post
                      Welcome to the forum. On your left crankcase does the area around the timing plug look like the example below which is bordered in blue? And is there anything stamped above the timing plug and/or to its R-H side? Thanks.
                      Eric

Hi Eric! Attaching a few photos of the crankcase.
                      DSC_0952.JPG
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
                        If your bike is legal in California; enjoy it. There are always things that are not correct on vintage bikes but that is part of the process of learning, hunting, gathering parts, and enjoying the old motorcycle hobby. The AMCA is as good as it gets for learning about vintage motorcycles. I know many people haunt fakebook for motorcycle lore, but way too snarky, and harsh from what I've seen. You'll get very good information here, in addition to some negativity, but everyone means well in their own way, and will give you the benefit of their hard earned knowledge. Stick with the AMCA forum and be prepared to learn some unexpected, but more often golden knowledge that will save you tons of wasted money, and wasted time.
                        Thank you, could you help me understand why it may not be legal? I came into this bike entirely by chance and have not done any vetting on the history of the bike itself, but it does have a clean title and papers and was ridden often in CA before it came to me, and has a current CA plate. I don't know the previous owner well but he is a reputable restorer.

I'm very glad I that I found the group and came to it knowing that it would be a trial by fire, but I'm committed to learning everything I can and give back when I can eventually. Thank you for the welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by ChiefTwoKicks View Post
                          News Flash... according to some of my friends in the SoCal Chapter, which I'm a member, about a hundred miles from "the boys", I was told The Los Angeles Chapter is working on merging with the SoCal Chapter. Craig Taylor has moved to Illinois (?) to be with his family and grandkids. Consolidation of the Chapters is on going.

C2K
                          Ah, yes I've tried connecting with Craig via email, but it's an address at an auto shop out here in the Valley so it may not have gotten to him. I'll keep an eye out for news here!

Comment

Originally posted by bRadatz View Post

Thank you, could you help me understand why it may not be legal? I came into this bike entirely by chance and have not done any vetting on the history of the bike itself, but it does have a clean title and papers and was ridden often in CA before it came to me, and has a current CA plate. I don't know the previous owner well but he is a reputable restorer.

I'm very glad I that I found the group and came to it knowing that it would be a trial by fire, but I'm committed to learning everything I can and give back when I can eventually. Thank you for the welcome!
                            The first issue arose from your original post calling it a WL, a completely different machine. However in the old chopper days many bikes (often stolen) were re-stamped with bogus numbers from a clear title. So there were lots of red flags sent up by your initial info.
                            All that and the fact it has many wrong year parts including the cam cover which makes it appear to be a later engine.
                            Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by Rubone View Post

The first issue arose from your original post calling it a WL, a completely different machine. However in the old chopper days many bikes (often stolen) were re-stamped with bogus numbers from a clear title. So there were lots of red flags sent up by your initial info.
                              All that and the fact it has many wrong year parts including the cam cover which makes it appear to be a later engine.
                              I see, thank you. Well I certainly hope that I’m not in possession of a stolen bike! I misspoke in my post title. Reading back through my correspondence with the owner he only ever called it a Panhead and I self-described it as a WL going off the general profile. I should have checked the VIN before opening my mouth here . My larger point is that I now have it and am looking forward to learning all I can about it here. (especially if stolen, but I really don’t think so?)

Happy to provide any more details or photos if it helpful!

Comment

Working...
                              X