X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rubone
    replied
    Originally posted by rangofox View Post
    Now I see, thank you for clarifying. I appreciate your help. Is it possible to change the grips to the 49 standard?
    No, the bars are made differently.

Leave a comment:

• rangofox
    replied
    Now I see, thank you for clarifying. I appreciate your help. Is it possible to change the grips to the 49 standard?

Leave a comment:

• Rubone
    replied
    Originally posted by rangofox View Post
    I'd like to clarify, the handlebars currently on the bike are pre 1948 kit style with grips.

I have the actual 1949 bars but I don't have the grips, internals, or risers to put them on the bike.
    OK, more clarification. The OEM standard bars do not use any type of riser, they look exactly like those '48 bars EXCEPT for the grip sleeves, spirals, etc.

Leave a comment:

• rangofox
    replied
    I'd like to clarify, the handlebars currently on the bike are pre 1948 kit style with grips.

I have the actual 1949 bars but I don't have the grips, internals, or risers to put them on the bike.

Leave a comment:

• Rubone
    replied
    "Rubone, I actually have the handlebars but I don't have the risers for it"

I mean the factory springer bars, not the rubber mounts. The bars pictured on your bike are '48 and earlier. The '49-'52WL rigid mount bars have different controls on them.

Leave a comment:

• rangofox
    replied
    Thank you for the support, wish I could get notifications for this so I know when someone posts here. Reedsleyer, I did go to the Blackhawk swap meet in Davenport. It was my first time and there were some great people there that I got alot of nice goodies from. I work full time as an Engineer for Webster County IA. I also am a volunteer fire fighter.

Rubone, I actually have the handlebars but I don't have the risers for it.

thank you all for being supportive, Ill have to make sure to check here often!

Here is a current photo of the build. I'm rebuilding the tranny right now.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Leave a comment:

• JoJo357
    replied
    Greeting's Jeffrey. You might want to look up section--'Member Bike Builds', entitled--'Pa's 42 WLA Build'.
    Great Luck on the Build.

*M.A.D.*

Leave a comment:

• T. Cotten
    replied
    And welcome again, Liz!

Doesn't everybody dig in dumpsters?

(It would be a better world if they did.)

....Cotten

Leave a comment:

• Rubone
    replied
    Welcome Jeff, nice project. 45s are a lot of fun, although the days of 45s being the "cheap to restore" H-Ds are long gone. Good luck on your project and good luck finding a correct set of '49 style handlebars at some point.

Leave a comment:

• reedsleyer
    replied
    Hi Jeff I have never been to Davenport. 20 years ago it was the biggest meet but when I was at Wauseon this year folks said that Wauseon was bigger. IDK. I suppose I should look up the dates. Was thinking of going to the Maryland chapter meet in the fall. Is there racing at the Davenport meet like at Wauseon? I know.. I could look it up if I was a more motivated individual. What do you do for fun besides dumpster diving and looking for vintage bike parts? I am going on a big ride for a couple of days in Virginia next month. A friend and I are trailering down as our bikes are not the new hot thing (not quite vintage but almost Lol) but I guess it's lots of twisty fun. My name is Liz, by the way. reedsleyer has been my internet nic for many years. I acquired in the 80's and is a weaving term for poking the warp threads on a loom through the item that beats down the weft threads which is called the reed. (I am a sometime fiber artist).

Leave a comment:

• T. Cotten
    replied
    Originally posted by reedsleyer View Post
    Hi Jeff, I am a new member like you and I am just trying out the forum to see if I can navigate around. Did you go to the big meet in Davenport? ...
    Davenport is still weeks away, Reedsleyer!

http://www.chiefblackhawk.org/

(But it looms over me like a storm; Cancelled last year, it promises to be more than I can handle, even though most of our overseas visitors will be regrettably missing.)

Welcome all,

....Cotten

Leave a comment:

• reedsleyer
    replied
    Hi Jeff, I am a new member like you and I am just trying out the forum to see if I can navigate around. Did you go to the big meet in Davenport? I wish you luck in putting together your bike. I was a member 20yrs ago and I know this is a great community of folks that want to help you enjoy vintage motorcycling

Leave a comment:

• ragsflh
    replied
    welcome jeff.great project

Leave a comment:

• rangofox
    replied
    Thank you, my dad does not live close, he has stopped by when he can and we're making memories as we go. I do have Bruce palmers books. They have been a great help.

Leave a comment:

• BigLakeBob
    replied
    Welcome to the forum. Does your Dad live close and have any interest in the motorcycle? Possibly you both could spend quality time doing it together? I did that about 25 years ago with my Dad, he lived only an hour away but would spend the weekend and work on the bike together. I was about your age. Good luck with the build, look forward to the progress. I suggest getting Bruce Palmer's books if you already don't have them, they are advertised in our club magazine.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X