New member and new Harlry Big Twin owner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member and new Harlry Big Twin owner

After many years of thinking about joining the ranks of motorcycle owning I recently picked myself up a 1941 Harley Big Twin with sidecar! This was in a museum for almost 30 years of a friend so I was able to talk him out of it. I may have a lot of question but have found some real nice (and a couple of crabby) people to this point. I have never owned a bike so to start with a tank shift, kick start....well that is just cool. I do plan on painting it (probably 1937 Hollywood Green) as I dont love black. Look forward to taking out my puppies, wife and girlfriends this summer around the lake although is was -21 this morning so I feel I need to wait. It is mostly original and in wonderful condition. I am nearing in on 60 so it was time to take the plunge!! I apologize for any bad questions I plan on asking .
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Nice looking rig! Sounds like your going to have alot of fun with it. Welcome to the board!
    Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile....
    -good ol GD

Comment

Welcome, that looks like a fun ride.

Bit of advice, don't take the wife and girlfriend for a ride at the same time! lol

Bit of serious advice, ride it for a few months before changing anything. You may decide you like it after all. You'll also discover other things that need attention first.
      Last edited by joe fxs fxr; 02-11-2021, 09:59 AM.
      AMCA #41287
      1971 Sprint SS350 project
      1982 FXR - AMCA 98.5 point restoration
      1979 FXS 1200 never done playing
      1998 Dyna Convertible - 100% Original
      96" Evo Softail self built chopper
      2012 103" Road King "per diem"
      plus 13 other bikes over the years...

Comment

Beautiful bike! You did good. You might consider the green they used in 1941; Cruiser Green. The Hollywood green is actually a 1938 color and is a close match to John Deere green. You came to the right place. A lot of knowledgeable people with good advice. There are no "bad" questions, sometimes some bad answers, though. Don't be afraid to ask. I really like your bike. (I'm partial to Flatheads anyway) Welcome.
        Dave

Comment

Thanks on the welcome and advice. The color is trick as I REALLY like the Hollywood Green and it was available in 1941 (Think is was a $5 option as you could get any color paint that HD made in the past is my understanding). I will share more photos as I move the project along as I like a buddy seat and a few other items like mud flaps, jewels, fender tips. Have found that items like the eagle fender tips are really rare for original but they do make repops of varied quality. Should look good when done. I guess the frame is from 43 to 44 and the sidecar is a 44. The HD guy helping me on this says find a 43 or 44 Knucklehead motor. I am happy with what I have as all the motor numbers match up, frame and parts are super solid. WE will see if I can drive it.

Comment

Originally posted by Midlifecrisis View Post
            Thanks on the welcome and advice. The color is trick as I REALLY like the Hollywood Green and it was available in 1941 (Think is was a $5 option as you could get any color paint that HD made in the past is my understanding). I will share more photos as I move the project along as I like a buddy seat and a few other items like mud flaps, jewels, fender tips. Have found that items like the eagle fender tips are really rare for original but they do make repops of varied quality. Should look good when done. I guess the frame is from 43 to 44 and the sidecar is a 44. The HD guy helping me on this says find a 43 or 44 Knucklehead motor. I am happy with what I have as all the motor numbers match up, frame and parts are super solid. WE will see if I can drive it.
            So far you are on the wrong track and repeating myths. Be careful where you get your info as several comments you have made are incorrect. And there are many mixed year parts on that bike.
            Last edited by Rubone; 02-11-2021, 08:44 AM.
            Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Welcome.
              W/r/t "all the motor numbers match up": which numbers? The usual convention is to list the VIN as 41ULHXXXX for anonymity.
              There are both 74" and 80" engines with almost identical external appearance in 1941, and many 74" have been bored out to 80".
              What is the casting number on the cylinder base flanges? Will be either 120-37 & -371 or 120-38 & -381.
              What number is the carburetor?
              Transmission is 3-speed + R, or 4-speed?
              The Linkert Book

Comment

Welcome! (But just between you and me, Midlifecrisis)....

Painting it your favorite color won't make it run any better.

Please get it roadworthy first.

Then, if you can still afford it, go for the vanity. Good luck!

....Cotten
                AMCA #776
                Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
                  Welcome! (But just between you and me, Midlifecrisis)....

Painting it your favorite color won't make it run any better.

Please get it roadworthy first.

Then, if you can still afford it, go for the vanity. Good luck!

....Cotten
                  I agree with Cotten - fall in love with it first and then worry about taking it apart to paint besides I like old paint better. Jerry

Comment

It was up and running within a day and running well. SO yes I understand function (but I sure like form ! I will get the numbers for all of you. Not sure what someone meant about mixed matched parts as I have a very knowledgeable person on it and other than the fenders (now fixed) he said it was very correct with a couple of items to work on. I know the whole "paint it another color" sits poorly with some but at least it is a Harley color that "could" have been ordered at that year. Have been able to find a better side car light, proper ride assist, fenders, running lights so I am working on "the list". Thanks for all.

Comment

Working...
                    X